It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

jennagirl HB User
full mouth extraction; excruciating pain

Hi all,
I am 39 yrs old, and on the 15th of Aug I had full mouth extraction for immediate load implants. Went to well respected oral surgeon, and implants looked wonderful, but had excessive pain on right side, and swelling didnt go down like it did after only 4 days on left side. Also had bruised nerve which caused numbness in chin on right side. (Numbness can last several months- Im ok with that- Did research on that, and got xray confirming the nerve is not being impacted by implant abuttment.) after almost 2 weeks, I had him take the implants out, as I couldnt stand the pain on the right side anymore (emotionally AND physically I was a wreck from lack of sleep due to pain) we decided to do the more traditional thing and let my gums heal, fashion some dentures, then once they healed, put implants back in, slated for a couple weeks from now. (abuttments are still in place and have healed to to the bone well) I had gone back to my oral surgeon several times over the last 2weeks because Im still in pain, now on my left side as well, and he has checked-- there are no infections, and by all appearances, x-rays, etc, all is healing very well. Ive been on a myriad of pain meds and clindamycin (antibiotic) I just have severe pain, and now growing granulomas/skin growths out of bottom right extraction sites. (there are 3 of them, large and painful). He numbed my mouth the other day with novacaine to ease the pain, and my whole mouth was blocked, however, I STILL felt the pain on the tops of the gums. He couldn't explain it. Science can't explain it. He is trying so hard to fix me, and has not had a patient who had such a hard time (I've cried on him several times and gone back to him what seems like every other day). Luckily, although he has had to have been going through hell from my fiance and I calling his cellphone and coming into his office so often, he remains compassionate and wants to help. He has just said that the only thing left to do is give it time to heal, and hopefully more healing will bring relief.

Keep in mind that I have never had pain or trauma like this in my life. There were about 2 days I felt suicidal- not emotionally- just to end the pain. I am now toothless for a few weeks until I heal, and I have dentures, but they hurt when in due to raw gums, so only wear them when out, which, at least I can go out of the house now.

Has anyone else ever had an experience like this? Will it get better soon? Have I just experienced a lower threshold of pain? (I would rather go through childbirth 3 more times than what I have gone through in the last 3 weeks)

Also, if anyone has had experience with the painful granulomas/growths from the gums, how long do they usually take to go away on their own? I could have them removed, but after going through novacaine not working and lidacaine rinse not numbing me, I dont want to risk anymore unnecessary pain.

Also, I do believe strongly in the mind/body connection (which is what I think explains the pain after novacaine, as I've been numbed numerous times in my life before and never had reaction like that) so any spiritual answers welcome as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User
Re: full mouth extraction; excruciating pain

hi jennagirl - you are really going through the wringer and deserve a medal of honor! I am so sorry this is happening as it is unnerving to have unexpected complications ... the granulomas have probably resulted from some trauma to the socket ligment during extraction, setting off a cascade of events in the remaining tissue. is the oral surgeon able to remove them by laser? i am wondering if the temporary dentures might be inducing the left side to hurt -- that side should settle down on its own when you *successfully* move to the next phase of treatment. you probably have to chew on the left to avoid the right, and that alone can cause pain on the overused side.

this may sound a little out of left field, but i would suggest massage therapy and warm treament (heating pad on low setting for example or warm bath you can sink in to up to your ears) as this amount of continuous pain can start upper back (shoulders, neck) becoming tight. it's normal for the muscles in this area (even though not directly involved in the traumatized jaw) to tighten in a defensive mode to "prevent" further pain. i am sure you will get to a successful treatment endpoint -- you've already come very far by having the extractions and having the abutments come through well! although you can't do anything directly to speed healing along, you can support your body indirectly by treating yourself very well and "work" the area around it. hopefully relaxing the upper body might help you be able to sleep! hang in there and i hope the pain starts subsiding soon!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabetho For This Useful Post:
jennagirl (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

jennagirl HB User

Hi Elizabetho! Thanks for the reply. . It is a couple of weeks later, and much better news: after more granulastomas grew-both sides of mouth- my oral surgeon elected to give me more sedation and remove them. Got sick and wound up in hospital to get fluids right afterwards, but that was a result of my body already having been through so much I think. Anyway, he reloaded the implants same time to prevent the growing of granulastomas again, and this time, although right side still sore, it feels sooooo much better. When I went back for slight adjustment, he said "THIS is how your gums should've healed the first time". I am scheduled to have my 'permanent' implants put in in 2months after my gums heal and integrate with the temporary. The temporary implants feel bulky, and are a little hard to chew with, but much better than dentures. Does anyone know if permanent implants are less bulky? If not, that's fine, I can get used to these, but it would be nice to feel like I have real teeth again, and i kind of feel like i look a little like ardipithicus with these. Lol.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

jennagirl HB User

By the way, elizabetho, the massage, hot pads, and hot bath worked wonders. I wasn't even thinking about how the surgery mustve overtaxed the rest of my body. Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
(female)

jennagirl HB User
Angry UPDATE 7 MONTHS LATER: Re: full mouth extraction; excruciating pain

Just an update, several months later....

ALL of the implants on bottom eventually fell out.(4 on their own, the others he removed- they were all-on-4's, however, he had actually put in 6)

First, the oral surgeon said this was due to bacterial infection of the jaw, then he said it was due to 'micro movement'. He asked me if I grind my teeth or clench, which I stated already on the introductory paperwork and in the consultation meeting that I did both. He said this is the cause.

Had to re-drill 5 more implants all at once AGAIN, leading to again, excruciating pain. (they are All-on-4's, although he added an extra for good measure) into my bottom jaw around the first of December.

I've had the 'temporary permanents' up top since August, but OS didnt want to do the top permanents until bottom totally healed due to the bite being off. Meanwhile, since August, I've had dentures on bottom (which makes me wonder why we paid so much--$40,000-- to have the immediate load when they turned out not to be that way--)

Well, in January(?), again I started having pain in a back-right bottom implant (much like the pain I had when each of the other implants fell out) and again, he said it was nothing, just the dentures rubbing against the implant. About a week later, the implant fell out on its own after much pain. I go back in mid- March to get that one implant drilled and replaced (3rd times a charm, and so far, he says no bone grafting needed).

THIS time, he says I've been waiting so long for permanents up top, that they did actually measure for them last appointment about 2 wks ago, and they will be fitting the temporary-almost-permanent-ones-just-the-fittings, during the march appntmnt, then in 2 wks I will have my top permanents, even though it will be another 12 wks for the bottom permanents. Not sure why NOW he's ok with my bite being off.

I am very very confused. Did the OS do something wrong by listening toknow I grind my teeth and taking appropriate action, or just plain saying I wasn't a candidate for implants after all? Also, I have been in that office 4 times with complaints of pain just to have him dismiss me, and feeling like a hypochondriac, only to lose the corresponding implant (even though his x-rays said they looked fine so I shouldn't worry) usually within 2 weeks. He says that he's never had a case that was this bad and dragged on so long, so I went to the extent of going to the DR to see if my body was going through anything strange, not allowing me to heal. I really really like my OS and his staff, but wondering if he did not follow everything to protocol, or if this is just one of those fluke things. My self-esteem is so bad now, when I look in the mirror, I feel ugly. I can already see my jaw sinking, and the emotional part of it all has taken a really bad toll. What are my options?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User
Re: UPDATE 7 MONTHS LATER: Re: full mouth extraction; excruciating pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennagirl View Post
Just an update, several months later....

ALL of the implants on bottom eventually fell out.(4 on their own, the others he removed- they were all-on-4's, however, he had actually put in 6)

First, the oral surgeon said this was due to bacterial infection of the jaw, then he said it was due to 'micro movement'. He asked me if I grind my teeth or clench, which I stated already on the introductory paperwork and in the consultation meeting that I did both. He said this is the cause.

Had to re-drill 5 more implants all at once AGAIN, leading to again, excruciating pain. (they are All-on-4's, although he added an extra for good measure) into my bottom jaw around the first of December.

I've had the 'temporary permanents' up top since August, but OS didnt want to do the top permanents until bottom totally healed due to the bite being off. Meanwhile, since August, I've had dentures on bottom (which makes me wonder why we paid so much--$40,000-- to have the immediate load when they turned out not to be that way--)

Well, in January(?), again I started having pain in a back-right bottom implant (much like the pain I had when each of the other implants fell out) and again, he said it was nothing, just the dentures rubbing against the implant. About a week later, the implant fell out on its own after much pain. I go back in mid- March to get that one implant drilled and replaced (3rd times a charm, and so far, he says no bone grafting needed).

THIS time, he says I've been waiting so long for permanents up top, that they did actually measure for them last appointment about 2 wks ago, and they will be fitting the temporary-almost-permanent-ones-just-the-fittings, during the march appntmnt, then in 2 wks I will have my top permanents, even though it will be another 12 wks for the bottom permanents. Not sure why NOW he's ok with my bite being off.

I am very very confused. Did the OS do something wrong by listening toknow I grind my teeth and taking appropriate action, or just plain saying I wasn't a candidate for implants after all? Also, I have been in that office 4 times with complaints of pain just to have him dismiss me, and feeling like a hypochondriac, only to lose the corresponding implant (even though his x-rays said they looked fine so I shouldn't worry) usually within 2 weeks. He says that he's never had a case that was this bad and dragged on so long, so I went to the extent of going to the DR to see if my body was going through anything strange, not allowing me to heal. I really really like my OS and his staff, but wondering if he did not follow everything to protocol, or if this is just one of those fluke things. My self-esteem is so bad now, when I look in the mirror, I feel ugly. I can already see my jaw sinking, and the emotional part of it all has taken a really bad toll. What are my options?
It may be time for a lawsuit. even the most well respected doctors don't have all the answers. I hate to say it, but I've noticed that they seem more interested in $$$ than patient care these days since the crash.
I've never had doctors hurt me so much or so badly than in the last 2-3 years.
If they don't understand something, they'll never admit it.
$40,000 and you're in THIS shape?

Frankly, I can't believe the doc didn't allow you to heal before putting all those implants in your mouth. I can't even believe he woudl pull all your teeth at once. Gold Rush!They seem to disregard trauma and think the body is their playground.

See a malpractice attorney and see if you can recover some of this or more. I had to sue a dentist back in the 90's and it was a drag, but I KNEW that he'd done malpractice.
It's way harder now to sue a doctor of any sort. But with your situation, it may be possible.
I think that may be one of the reasons they are so cavilier with their patients, they know they can't be sued very easily now.

Above all, allow your body to heal. Be gentle with yourself. Stop abusing your mouth. You can't MAKE your body do anything it can't or won't do and neither can any "doctor". Dental work can be the most traumatic thing + dangerous if the doc doesn't know what he's doing or rushes things. Dental infections can kill you.

Try some supplements/homeopathy to restore your energy....and take it easy

I'm still dizzy from a tooth extraction from a week ago...and it ain't the painkillers either.
The dentist messed up.
Gods! do I ever have some dental stories that would curl your hair!

I don't trust any of them anymore

Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User
Re: UPDATE 7 MONTHS LATER: Re: full mouth extraction; excruciating pain

Another very important thing: load up on probiotics. Antibiotics kill all the beneficial bacteria in our gut, causing susceptibility to new infections.
also, the dentist should have had you in a mouthguard if you grind your teeth.
Never expect a doctor to actually READ what you've written down on an office form. You have to tell them.
I'd go to another dentist, myself.
And remember, you have a statute of limitations of 3 years to make a lawsuit against this guy if you choose that route. After that, you can't sue him for anything
So sorry this has been so terrible for you. I feel for you, I really do

Closed Thread