It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
(female)

Michelle122 HB User
Wisdom Teeth removed - Problems with stitches, cannot sleep. Help!

Hi, I really need some advice. As I'm writing this, it is 6AM and I haven't slept at all. Well really, I haven't slept more then 6 hours in 4 days since I got my wisdom teeth taken out on Thursday.

Everything seems to be healing well, no dry socket (yet) but the stitches on both sides of my mouth are sticking out and are now irritating the gums. I'm quite positive they are the kind that dissolve by themselves. So I was wondering, can they be removed early by the dentist or would that slower the healing process and possibly cause dry socket?

Also, the main reason I'm not sleeping is because I tend to bite hard while I sleep and since the stitches are sticking out, my back teeth are biting on them and the irritated gums, thus waking me up with excruciating pain. I've tried sleeping with a mouth guard, etc. to keep my mouth from closing but the inside of my mouth gets really dry and irritates the gums even more.

Of course I had to pick a holiday weekend to get my teeth removed so I can only go to the dentist on Tuesday. But any advice would be helpful, as I'm extremely tired and feel like I'm not going to last another sleepless night.

Btw, can stitches be black?

Last edited by Michelle122; 09-06-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
(male)

persons123 HB User
Re: Wisdom Teeth removed - Stitches painful, cannot sleep. Help!

i just 2 week's ago had mine removed also, this is what i did to sleep at night, did they give you cotton, or something to soak up the blood? if so fold it up an put it on each side where your teeth were pulled. an close an make sure they are in place it should help the not bite on the stitches an help you sleep better an take some pain meds they had to of given you something for it. an its best to leave the stitches in untill they have you go in to remove them. dry sockets suck trust me.. hope you get better an get some sleep.
and yes stitches can be black they soak up the blood

Last edited by persons123; 09-05-2011 at 05:01 AM. Reason: because

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

The color of the stitch has nothing to do with soaking up blood, that's what color the silk is before it even enters the mouth :-)

Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

Michelle122 HB User

Turns out I had 2 dry sockets.. Didn't even think it could of been that because from what I've read, dry sockets give excruciating pain and I could bear the pain. I'm feeling much much better after going to the dentist. I actually slept like 7 hours today, I'm so happy.

Last edited by Michelle122; 09-06-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

Glad you're feeling better !!

The following user gives a hug of support to slenderella:
Michelle122 (09-07-2011)
Closed Thread