It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
(male)

hamlettoday HB User
Just Got Wisdom Teeth Out- Are Antibiotics (Clindamycin) Necessary?

Just got 2 wisdom teeth out at a Dental School Clinic (One on top had come in fully and the one below it was impacted and just starting to erupt, causing some dull pain). I was told that there was no sign of an infection and everything went fine. When I was leaving the dentist prescribed a course of Clindamycin, but I have IBS and have had bad reactions to antibiotics in the past and would rather not take it- I would have spoken to the dentist about this concern but was groggy and the clinic was a bit of a madhouse. Given that there was no sign of infection are the antibiotics necessary?

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Just Got Wisdom Teeth Out- Are Antibiotics (Clindamycin) Necessary?

Nope, it's not necessary. Of course, if you become symptomatic then you will have no choice, but if they specifically told you that you have no infection, it's just precautionary that they gave you the antibiotics.
Eat a soft diet today, nothing too hot, and no drinking from a straw because it will disturb the natural clot that forms once a tooth is removed. No rinsing or spitting the first day, either.

Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
hamlettoday (10-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I agree. If there was no infection when they were removed, it's unlikely one will develop afterwards, as long as you follow all the other instructions. I had no antibiotics after my wisdom tooth extraction.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
hamlettoday (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
(male)

hamlettoday HB User

Thanks! My concern is, if I do develop an infection what would the symptoms be and how would i differentiate from normal healing? My gums are already swollen from the surgery- thanks again for responding!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Abscess (lump), throbbing pain, foul smelling discharge, swollen glands near the extraction site, even fever if the infection is bad enough.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

Clindamycin is not prescribed in the absence of infection -- and it's famous for causing gi upset (gastric colitis -- to the point of commonly having to co-prescribe 2nd antibiotic to control the induced gut flora imbalance caused by clindamycin!!) certainly not a good selection for someone with ibs. i suspect in the chaos, they thought you were allergic to penicillin, and thought to err on the side of caution since you were starting to have pain, even though not infection-related. as everyone points out, as long as you feel a little better each day, no need. but if you thought there was a problem (or especially in the future, with any other dental problems) -- ask for a different class of antibiotic because of ibs. good luck!

Closed Thread