It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

GG2011 HB User
Yellow coating on tounge and enlarged taste buds.

Hey all, I don't know if I am posting this in the right section but here it goes.

Basically, for the past 6 or so months, I have had a quite inflamed taste buds but what is worrying me most is; the yellow coating on my tongue is quite thick, I can taste it in my mouth and when I clean it with a tongue scraper it smells pretty awful. Also, it will be back in like 12 hours time.

I have been to the doctors and they said it was not much and my tongue was 'Healthy' but I was told to scrape the tongue a bit softer. I also went to the dentist like 3 months ago and they said it was fine. The only thing with that was, the dentist didn't really pay that much attention and did not even notice the enlarged taste buds.

Anyway, if anyone can help me I would be most grateful as this is really starting to make me embarrassed in public. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
(male)

GG2011 HB User
Re: Yellow coating on tounge and enlarged taste buds.

Anyone have any advice please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

hi!

if the coating appeared rather suddenly, it is probably the culmination of a dietary allergy -- the enlarged tastebuds you describe are part of the same phenomenon. sometimes, you can have a food allergy (and it is common to crave that food, but that is another topic) without knowing it. The body can keep inflammation in check to a point, but then if you suddenly increase your intake of that food, this is the response. the tongue is reacting to some topical insult by producing excess keratin.

If the coating is a general white coating (like you describe) often a sensitivity to yeast or mold is the root. (so large intake of coffee, tea for example can set it off -- from the spores that collect on tea leaves and coffee beans in long storage and transport to final consumption.) Relatedly, (and this is the most likely scenario) it can be a yest infection that has reached a tipping point where the body is just a little overwhelmed. This is very common, as the western diet is heavily sugar and carbo-laden. In this case, the oral symptoms appear when the entire GI tract is overloaded with yeast.

I am surprised neither md or dds suggested an rx for nystatin for you. you can control it in the natural way (by eliminating sugars, yeast, and reducing tea/coffee intake) but it takes a while - like weeks or months --and persistence! Yogurt is generally helpful in alleviating symptoms and reducing the swollen tastebud irritation. (plain, w/ acidophilus) In the extreme cases, the tongue can have a burning sensation, and yogurt give topical relief as well as helps rebalance the GI flora. the only other thing i'd suggest is ask for a sugar-free suspension if you do take nystatin -- the most commonly written rx is in a heavy sugar syrup suspension, which defeats the whole purpose!!

good luck and i hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
(male)

GG2011 HB User

Cool, thanks.

Only thing though, this thing with my tongue has been getting worse more recently and seems to be harder to scrape off. I don't really drink tea or coffee so i don't think its to do with that. The other thing is, when I do scrape my tongue at like 8am, it will be back in about 10 hours time with the same horrid taste and smell.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

this is sounding more like candidiasis with rapid production of the coating in hours minutes to hours. and a corresponding smell can indicate secondary bacteria. (the togue surface is overreacting to yeast and possibly other pathogens that have settled/burrowed onto the top layer of tongue cells.) you can see why removing the layer doesn't fix the problem (although it does provide some temporary relief!) these pathogens are in high concentration and you can't mechanically get rid of them so it's a cycle.

it would be helpful to get an rx just to give your system a kickstart, and i would try to do that soon. it would be best if you could get a culture done, just so you can start treatment with the right agent from the beginning. not every dentist will do a culture, but most can, so i would call around. i would also just mention this is pretty common condition, and it can go on for years if not "helped" in most patients. good luck with this!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
(male)

GG2011 HB User

Sorry to bring up a old post but I still have the same problem.

I have been to a second Dr and they said 100% not thrush. Now, She did say it could be a vitamin B12 or Iron deficiency but its still not sorted it.

It is also a bit hairy which I did not mention in the original post. Any other ideas what it could be?

Thanks.

Closed Thread