It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

penguin102 HB User
scared, need help

I have 4 impacted wisdom teeth, which have just started bothering me. I have to have them out and I am terrified, not of the pain or procedure, but of being knocked out. I have never been put out before, but I lost someone 8 years ago who was put out and never woke up. Has anyone has them out with just a local? I'm so scared I can't eat, concentrate or sleep. I just cry all day/night. I could really use some support and appreciate anyone taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: scared, need help

if they're impacted i would advise going under.....i had 4 impacted ones, went under, it was a breeze, over in less than 1/2 hr for all four and they were underneath my molars......
don't worry, you will be ok.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I agree with rosequartz. The sedation they use will probably just be intravenous. Recovery occurs shortly after the anesthesia medium is withdrawn.
You really should be fine. It's not general inhalation anesthesia unless you are going to the hospital with a board certified anesthesiologist in attendance (at least in the USA).
If that is the case, you would have full monitoring and have a preop workup (usually consisting of a minimum of chest xray, CBC, Blood profile and EKG). As you can see it is quite detailed.

Either way, you would be fine as both are monitored anesthesia.

I had mine out with IV anesthesia and it was over in 25 minutes with no problem.

Having your teeth out can be scary but it's really not nearly as bad as the imagination can make it out to be. I'm sure you'll do great!

Good luck and let us know how you do. We love success stories!

My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

My grand-daughter who is only 14 was sedated for a dental surgery. They gave her a Valium to take an hour b/4 surgery & the sedation was IV. She had no problem at all. She was a little "silly" acting after for a few min but she came home took a nap & went to a ball game that evening. I do know people that would not have their wisdom teeth out & it caused their other teeth to shift & ruined their teeth.
I know how you feel, it's scarey when we don't know what will happen but they will take care of you.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

penguin102 HB User

Irony-I went for physical exam before making my dentist appointment to ensure good health before the "big day". They found some neuro problem, now I have to have them out 1 at a time with a local only-weird how things work. Could take up to an hour a tooth? That seems long, hope I can make it through without freaking out!!!!! I go before x-mas. Thank you all for your comments.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
(male)

Darrel153 HB User

Probably less then a hour, mine took about 30 minutes and it was not easy to extract. Honestly its nothing to freak out about, its quick and simple I rather have wisdom teeth pulled then have a cavity filled.

The Following User Says Thank You to Darrel153 For This Useful Post:
penguin102 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
(female)

penguin102 HB User

1 down, 3 to go. Had my first impacted wisdeom out this am, novocaine only. Very sore, but managing on tylenol. Feels weird. Nurse gave me my tooth, its ugly

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
(female)

penguin102 HB User

Had by tooth extracted a week ago, past few days I have a pressure headache...feels like sinus pressure all over head. Is this normal??? Area around stitches is clean.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Congratulations! You did it!! Hope all is well and they all come out easily.

My best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
penguin102 (12-05-2011)
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
(female)

penguin102 HB User

Need some encouragement...time to schedule my next impacted tooth to come out, but for some reason I am more nervous this time (maybe since its a bottom one?). Worries about the novocaine, something going wrong...weird. Just has my 6 month check-up and dentist said everything looks good-no cavities etc, just the remaining impacted teeth, so I should be happy, but way too nervous. :-(

Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
Any time you need an extraction you can be nervous! It's certainly allowed.

Bottom teeth aren't any more difficult to remove than the top. Actually, the dentist is in a better position to remove the bottom ones.
The novocain will most likely be placed in the jaw angle. This is a nerve block and will numb you to the middle of your lip. It works great and you shouldn't feel any pain, just the pulling and pressure that one can feel as the tooth is worked free.

I'm betting this will be no worse than the first and probably easier because you are already an old pro at it!

GOOD LUCK! May it be an easy out!

My best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
penguin102 (01-10-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
(female)

jeni777 HB Userjeni777 HB User

so you dont have to get 1 at a time why dont you just get nitrous and get them all done at once. It is laughing gas.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
(female)

penguin102 HB User

So frustrated...my allergist wants to test me for the Novocaine product they are going to use for my next extraction and the dentist wont give it to him! So he needs to order it and it will take 3 weeks. Its going to delay my extraction, looks like another month of waiting in pain, not to mention the anxiety....I'm ready to lose my mind. This has been the wost 6 months ever!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

penguin i saw you posted and got excited....I thought you were gonna tell us that you did it, it went fine and all is well! I'm sorry to hear you haven't done it yet and it's still hanging over your head!

Closed Thread