It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
(female)

retro cat HB User
Question Is pain in a tooth and bone normal after an onlay?

Hi everyone

I just got a ceramic onlay. The old filling was removed and replaced with the permanent onlay. Before the onlay was done, that tooth never bothered me. Now, several hours later, I have an aching pain in that tooth, gums and bone adjacent to that tooth (pain can travel, so I'm not sure if there's any concern with the pain in the bone) . I have no idea if this pain is normal or how long it may take for the pain to subside. I've never had dental work that resulted in pain.

Also, now my bite feels uncomfortable and is very annoying. I realize that I'll have to go back for an adjustment to my bite. I had no clue that the onlay could affect my bite.

By the way, does anyone know how long ceramic onlays last? I think my dentist exaggerated the longevity of the onlay.

Thank you for any help that you can offer me.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
(female)

lorahun HB User
Re: Is pain in a tooth and bone normal after an onlay?

in Sept I went in to get a dental check up, I hadn't been in awhile, no cavities but they wanted to replace an old filling, it wasn't bothering me, no pain no nothing, but they gave me the line of how it's old and might fall out soon if I don't repair it. They told me how great this onlay would be, my tooth would be so much better, it would last a lot longer, blah blah blah. It has been NONE STOP PAIN since sept. If I could go back in time I would to tell them to NEVER touch my teeth. First they drill out the old filling, I feel sharp pain during the drilling. Finally they put in a temp, only for me to have to go back and get adjustments on it, it was so painful, the pain with the temp never went away, so I was counting down the days to get my onlay. Well they start cleaning out my temp and it hurt so bad they had to numb me again. They finally get the permanant in but I had to go back the next week because it was way too high, It's been about a month now and I'm still so upset. It feel akward in my mouth, I hate it so much, I can't chew on anything hard without feeling a pain, during the adjustment not only did he shave down my new onlay but the teeth on top, and now they feel weird too, why shave the top when the problem was with the bottom...I wish I never agreed to this onlay, I'm trying to wait it out, as I feel like everytime I go back they shave and damage my teeth even more and just make things worse and more painful. I'm using synsodyne toothpaste to try and make it feel better but it doesn't seem to work. Everytime I eat I think about how to eat what will be comfortable and painfree, so I eat on the other side. I can't live like this. I feel like if I go back they will tell me to get a root canal or something, but all I know is I walked into that dentist office pain free and happy, walked out in pain and $800 in debt. So now I'm telling everyone, if it's ain't broke don't fix it!! They told me my old filling would fall out in the next few years but this onlay would at last 15 years maybe 40...grr..all I know is I hope it gets better on it's on, or Im just going to tell them to pull it out of my mouth, I'm so done, I'm never going back to the dentist after this is resolved, I'll just let my teeth fall out of my head first. Sorry for the vent, I'm just really annoyed, I hope your onlay starts feeling better, but I'm sure you need an adjustment but be careful they don't go crazy shaving your teeth down too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

My feeling is that the pain you are feeling is due to the bite needing to be adjusted.
Did that tooth have root canal in the past? Sometimes, if not, the tooth just gets agitated from the drilling and that will go away.
How many years did the dentist say your inlay should last?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

My feeling is that the pain you are feeling is due to the bite needing to be adjusted.
Did that tooth have root canal in the past? Sometimes, if not, the tooth just gets agitated from the drilling and that will go away.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

retro cat HB User

lorahun, I can almost feel your pain . I had an instance in the past where I felt that if only I could turn back time, I would have never let the dentist do what he did to one of my teeth. Then he outright lied in my records about what he did to my tooth. Can you find a reputable dentist to give you a second opinion? You shouldn't have to live in pain, and some dentist out there hopefully can help you. I would tell them to not touch any of your other teeth if they are going to adjust your bite...it was that onlay that changed your bite. I understand how frustrated you are, and I hope you get help for this problem.

I also have an amalgam filling that my dentist also wants to replace soon, though there is no pain in that tooth. No other dentist mentioned replacing that filling. I'm going to try to get a second opinion on this. Like you wrote, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With regards to my onlay, I was also told that the onlay would be the best thing for my tooth. After the onlay was bonded, the dentist told the assistant to shave down part of my opposite tooth to adjust my bite and didn't even ask if it was okay with me, or I would have told them to leave the good tooth alone. Before I knew it, the tool was in my mouth. It's not the other teeth that are affecting my bite, rather, it's the onlay that changed my bite (my bite was perfect before the onlay). I don't know why dentists feel like they can take the liberty to do whatever they want in our mouths without asking for our consent. Anyway, I have to get the onlay adjusted again, and I hope that my bite gets back to normal.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
(female)

retro cat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
slenderella, I agree that the bite being off is causing discomfort. I'll give it some time for the pain to improve because they did a lot of work on my tooth. My gums around that tooth are a bit inflamed. To answer your questions...the tooth with the onlay doesn't have a root canal (I've never had a root canal on any tooth). The dentist said the onlay would last twenty years. But I've read comments from dentists who see patients who have onlays that cracked or failed within a few years. It would be great if my onlay lasted twenty years since it was very expensive.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think that if you don't abuse the tooth (by cracking ice, for instance) that twenty years is NOT unreasonable. :-)

Closed Thread