It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
Red face isolated crowned tooth sensitivity + sensitive to soft touch...

Hi everyone,,,
I have a odd thing happening in one of my teeth. On my upper right first small molar I noticed that if I lightly touched the tooth (crowned) on the outside it was sensitive. It didnt hurt, but was more like a sensation inside the tooth. It was also sensitive to ice cold liquids and to cold air at times (these have improved with sensodyne) . I went to the dentist a few days later and he examined me, did an xray, etc and said the tooth looks fine. He said I grind my teeth and I probably did some lateral grinding and it can take a few weeks to let the peridontal ligament uninflame. He also told me to use sensodyne toothpaste. Heres my problem......
The tooth was crowned about 6 weeks prior to the sensitivity starting. The crown never felt normal. The bite is fine, its not that, but when I floss theres cement in there and it yanks the tooth very hard to get the floss out. I had a rootcanal for a abcessed tooth on another tooth over the summer, and although this tooth feels nothing like that tooth regarding pain, the sensation is similar, but with the abcessed tooth the sensation turned to the inability to touch it or eat with it in a matter of two days. So flash forward over a month since the visit with the dentist diagnosing teeth grinding....I am still having the issue. It did not go away after a couple weeks. I still have it. BUT I do notice that the tooth is perfect for the first few hours after i brush with the sensodyne.
Now finally for my question....1) What are the chances of just ONE tooth being affected with grinding, and for this amount of time. 2) Do you think a poorly fitted crown could cause this? 3) Is the nerve dying slowly but helped by sensodyne?
Any help is appreciated. Im trying to decide if I need to go to a new dentist to get this re-evaluated.
Thanks so much for your reply!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
(male)

mnman31 HB User
Re: isolated crowned tooth sensitivity + sensitive to soft touch...

I would go back to the dentist. Something is definitely wrong there. If all else fails you can have it extracted.

Closed Thread