It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

MexiAsian HB User
SOMEONE HELP- RootCanal?!

Due to Dental examinations being expensive I have never been to the dentist before so this is a nightmare for me :$
I never had really bad pains before and I was always able to chew comfortably.
When I went to get them checked it turned out I had around 10 cavities !
8 of them are small and most between teeth.
One of the bad cavities was on the first molar [ i believe] and it was very deep, so deep it could possibly be a root canal.
The dentist filled it in and we waited but once the numbness went away and I ate I could feel an uncomfortable pressure while eating so I went back and had the Dentist re-shape it.
Its now been two weeks and the 'possible root canal' as well as the tooth behind it still feel uncomfortable while eating , it's not even very hard food. Food like bread. Sweets don't affect it anymore. There's no gum swelling, no real tooth ache, but a huge discomfort or sort of pressur while eating. But I'm wondering if it's root canal or not since the one behind it is also feeling the same.
I am not trusting my dentist since she did a filling and a clean-up on my sisters teeth , whom has never had problems before, and now my sister had extremely sensitive teeth after a week and a half of the procedure. Things like salad and sometimes even air hurts her.
Do you think it's a root canal ? is there a way to check if it's root canal?
Should I change dentists ?
Or are these feelings normal considering that fact I've never had any work on them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: SOMEONE HELP- RootCanal?!

Hi,
I will give you a possible answer for your sister first. After you have a thorough cleaning from a dentist, plaque that has gotten down below the gumline is removed. This exposes the tooth surface to salvia, etc. and can make it sensitive to painful sensations. The plaque getting there to begin with is the problem. Tell your sister to use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. That should help in a big way in about 10 days to two weeks. She will need to floss daily to keep it from happening again, though.

It's very possible the same has happened to you. Plaque that forms along the base of the tooth pushes the gum away from the tooth surface. It forms a dental "pocket". Fluids can go down into the pocket area and transmit painful sensations through the tooth dentin which has now been exposed to the nerve. Toothpaste for sensitive may help you also.

There is also a distinct possibility that the tooth next to the questionable RCT tooth has a problem of its own.

Right now, your dentist sounds like he/she is taking the conservative approach. Healing from any dental procedure can take some time.

Both you and your sister need to brush at least twice daily for a minimum of two minutes each time with toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Then flossing once a day is a MUST to clean the dental pockets and help prevent gumline cavities between the teeth. It's the only way to remove plaque that will go down into those pockets and create pain.

Five minutes out of your entire day. Doing this will keep most future problems at bay also.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
My best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread