It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
(male)

tmfuller HB User
The truth about adjusting to Dentures

5 days ago I had 19 teeth extracted and was fitted with immediate dentures on top and a partial for the bottom with the front 8 teeth staying mine.

To be fair my Dentist did say this is gonna hurt. The hygienist did tell me it will be a lengthy process of adjustments to get them to fit right.

Well partner they weren't foolin. It hurts. My mouth was super sore and ached like crazy. I am rather old school and don't like taking dope but I took the pain pills as scheduled. (till they blocked me up) What I found to be hurting more than healing was the dentures themselves. The immediate placement dentures are made to a best guess of where your gums will heal to. Unfortunately this guess is not always right and can create some hard "pinch" points.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
(male)

tmfuller HB User
Re: The truth about adjusting to Dentures

Sorry I ran out of space on the first one.

I am a constant tinkerer and engineer. After closely examining my dentures, the edges were very uneven and even sharp in some places. I removed the burrs and rounded the sharp edges. I am now nearly seven days in and can see some light at the end. I can chew crab cakes... YEAH!

Anyway folks keep in mind it is a prosthetic and like any replacement parts you have to start using them to get used to them. Make sure you communicate with your dentist about your dentures. Unless you are willing to pay for a new set, don't adjust your own.

We are an incredibly resilient creatures. You can take it and make it through. Will it suck? YES. Is it worth it? Ask me in six months.

Before I found HB here I was at my wits end. I had unreal expectations of being nearly healed in a week. (Hahaha) Thanks so much to all of you who posted before me, your words gave strength.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I'm sorry that you're suffering. It's a necessary evil as your gums continue to heal and the dentures need be adjusted to accommodate that. Hope you will write another update in a couple of weeks! Five days is a short amount of time when you think about the trauma your mouth had had with 19 removals!

blessings, Sue

Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I'm with slenderella. I had a partial that I used while implants integrated. It took me about three weeks before it was even the least bit comfortable.

Hope yours works faster! It will happen though.

GOOD LUCK and as slenderella said, please come back with an update. We love success stories!~

Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
marvelous3 (12-17-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

-CvC- HB User-CvC- HB User-CvC- HB User-CvC- HB User

Got my uppers in 05. It hurt at first. Had to sand down a couple rough spots. When my upper jaw shrank it put my lower jaw in a new position and my mouth hurt like crazy for the month or so it took to adjust. Lost 70 pounds adjusting to dentures. Never been happier with my teeth now.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
(male)

tmfuller HB User

CVC I hear that on the weight loss. My clothes are fitting very loose. I don't fret on it much so I have not checked how much. It is getting better day by day. The uppers are a little sore where the denture rubbed/cut, but even those spots are healing.

Thanks alot to all that have replied. I got all this dental work done after boycotting the dental industry for more than ten years.(Looks like I really won on that one...) I have been having some tough headaches, made the rounds of docs, ent, allergist. I was told by all along the way likely TMJ but can't do anything till you get your teeth done.

Anyone have any suggestions on how long I should wait before trying again on the tmj stuff. As long as the dentures are in I am mostly comfortable. At night while resting my gums, sans dentures, I have been getting muscle spasms and cramps in my jaw.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
(male)

tmfuller HB User

Finally some good news to post. I am two weeks and 4 days post op from 19 extractions and a full upper denture, and lower partial. As of today leaving the dentist having had a reline done I can chew! There is still some mild tender areas, but nothing that will stop me from eating MEAT! Hahaha. It's a good thing too cause I didn't realize I was signing up for a weight loss program. Sheesh all my clothes got loose. So to go along with a great new smile and a set of replaceable choppers, I even look better.

To anyone look for a straight from the hip view just ask. It sucked major rocks in the beginning but in the grand scheme of things, little over two weeks is nothing.

Closed Thread