It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
(female)

kstroff HB User
Exclamation Teeth Out and Top Dentures Scared to Death

Have Periodontal disease (have lost a lot of bone), top teeth need to come out. This is how it has gone so far:

1) Front tooth #5 loose told best to have all top teeth taken out and immediate denture put in. Cost $1,495.00 plus reline in 6 months later, $275.00.
2) Went to Oral Surgeon appt to have all 11 (all that I have on top) and was told that immediate dentures usually fit better with more teeth taken out, had nervous breakdown and cancelled.
2) Consulted with another dentist and my Periodontist, told the same thing about immediate denture. In meantime Dentist bonded the front loose tooth, #4 and #5 (took two times) could eat again and not in pain from tooth being loose. Told same thing should have more teeth taken out an immediate denture put in would be better. First wanted to take out 3 molers plus loose bonded teeth, no way I could not deal with 6-8 weeks with hole in front.
3) Scheduled now to have 3 molars taken out and leaving the bonded #4 and #5. Will take 6-8 weeks to heal without top molars, so will not be able to chew food for all that time. Then all rest of teeth taken out and have immediate denture (not the final), wait for 2-3 months then impression to do a final denture. All this costing me $1,700.00. Plus talking about some other construction that I can't even describe right now (something about implants to the denture). Thinking about cancelling, so confused, scared to death!
Why do I keep putting this off!!!! Should I go for another consult! Can't seem to deal with all of this!

So scared to death!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
(male)

tmfuller HB User
Re: Teeth Out and Top Dentures Scared to Death

I truly understand your worries. I just had 19 out and immediate full upper and partial lower. It does hurt I wont lie to ya. I will also say I am a little over a week in to healing and can start chewing(ravioli, and other soft stuff like it). The denture is a tad unstable as the healing is not complete, but this is really a temporary issue. I had tons of fear about getting this done and even after for a few days I thought I made the wrong choice. A week later I think it was a good choice again. All in all it does suck but everyone I have talked to or read their posts feels like it was worth it in the end. I think they gave you the max end of the healing time. You really only have a couple weeks before the majority of the healing is done. The long end is adding in time for bone remodeling. The remodeling changes the fit of dentures and will require reline. The thing to remember is Putting it off only makes it worse. I made it through, along with many others here. You can do it.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
(female)

kstroff HB User

Thanks I appreciate your response, going to wait for now just can't do it! I know probably will regard but no courage and too high of a stress level. It's my decision for now.

Will post in the future.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
(male)

tmfuller HB User

I have been doing a bit more research on things that can be done to improve healing. Eating(drinking) a diet with mixed whey and soy proteins along with citrus fruits and red meat, help the body by providing the basic cellular building blocks. I have also been taking a daily vitamin. I have noticed an increased rate of closure on the extraction sites. When your ready to go through with it make sure you have good nutrition lined up. Today is my tenth day post op. Alot has improved. I am also starting to get used to talking with the dentures in.

Please don't feel like I am pressuring you to move forward. Just know like I found there are plenty here that can testify to the rewards of getting your mouth healthy.

Best Wishes

Closed Thread