It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

Schupper HB User
Unhappy Tooth crumbling, too late for a crown?

Hi,
I had a root canal to one of my teeth a long while a go and did not have a crown.
I noticed tiny white pieces in my mouth, I guess they are from this tooth
I've been feeling some pressure in this tooth too for a few days, it feels sensitive, no pain since it has been root-canaled but I do feel pressure.
It is alsp sensitive to hot stuff.

Well, this pressure happens every month with my period cycle, but this is the first time i get those peices inmy mouth Nd it was not sensitive to heat before.

So, will the desntist make a crown for me or is it too late?
What will they do?

I'll go see a dentist, but it would be really helpful to know more about this matter and know what to expect until I get my appointment settled.

Thanks,

Last edited by Schupper; 12-10-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Tooth crumbling, too late for a crown?

Hi,
I think it will depend on how much of the tooth remains. If the remaining tooth has enough left, your dentist may be able to put a post in it and then a crown. There is also the possibility that tooth has cracked below the gumline surface. If that is the case, extraction is the usual. In that case, a bridge or implant would be advised.

Good luck and do let us know what your dentist discovers.

My best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
Schupper (12-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
(female)

Schupper HB User

Thanks gellia for the info and nice wishes.
If something is wring under gum line -God forbid- will there be symptoms such as swelling or redness, or is it a silent thing?

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
It would have to be a crack that extended below the gumline. I don't think your dentist will be able to tell until he examines the tooth. Many times cracks can be so small that even xray won't pick them up. Unfortunately I think you'll have to wait until the dentist is actually working on the tooth to know where to go from here. He will be able to see if there is a crack and advise accordingly.

Best scenario would be that there is enough tooth for a post and crown. Worst would be a crack or destruction below the gumline that is large enough to necessitate the tooth's removal.
It that is the case, a bridge or implant would be warranted. A bridge would have to use a tooth on either side of the extraction site. An implant would just replace the single tooth. Both work out to be about the same expense although over a lifetime an implant actually can be cheaper.

Cross that bridge if necessary. Hopefully it will be a quick fix. GOOD LUCK and do let us know how you make out.

Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
Schupper (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

Schupper HB User

Thank you. I appreciate your help

Closed Thread