It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
(male)

wkcats HB User
Unhappy bridge or implant

im in a mental panic.when I was 10 I had a root canal on my right front tooth.a post and crown
was put over the tooth when the tooth cracked.that was almost 50 years ago.the crown was replaced about 12 years ago.the crown will not stay on the post.my dentist now says I need an implant so a new crown can be put on the tooth.my other alternative would be a bridge since the tooth next to it
also has a crown.I beleave it would be a 4 tooth bridge.if I go that root would
they have to pull the old post and whats left of the tooth out or can it stay
where it is and the bridge go over it.has anyone had this last remaining part of a tooth pulled out.my dentist doesnt tell me much and when I left I was kind of stunned.the crown is still conected to the post but it is getting looser.
can anyone help with some info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

marvelous3 HB User
Re: bridge or implant

I just had a tooth like this pulled--a tooth with a post and a crown. Similar to you, the tooth underneath had already had a root canal. My endodontist told me each time a tooth has a root canal, the chance or probability of it holding up diminishes significantly. He would have done another root canal and re-did the post and a new crown if I asked, but I didn't think it was worth it and he said I made a good choice. My tooth was probably in the worst possible shape, so I chose to have it pulled. Your teeth might be different and you might have more options.

I would discuss with your dentist whether a bridge or implant would be a good choice for you. You will have to floss under a bridge and you have to have the two teeth that it sits on ground down a bit. An implant would replace the tooth in question and would otherwise function normally as a single tooth.

I don't see a dentist leaving an open tooth under bridge though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
(male)

wkcats HB User
Red face Re: bridge or implant

thats what I figured.how bad was it having the tooth pulled since
their is only a small part of the tooth left.was there pain.did you get an implant or
a bridge.did you have to have no tooth in the spot after it was
done and for how long
thanks

Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

My advice to you is to have an implant placed. When you have a bridge done for that many teeth compared to one implant, I don't think the price point will be that different.
Also, with a bridge, the dentist also has to drill on the good teeth on either side of it so that the bridge can be cemented, and personally I just think it's a shame to ruin the integrity of perfectly fine teeth just to be used as anchors. As the above poster said, flossing is not that easy with a bridge, either. An implant tooth functions exactly as a "real" tooth does, so you can floss normally. I have two implants myself and they were so worth the investment.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

marvelous3 HB User

Having that tooth pulled was no big deal to me--but it was not my first pulled tooth (and will not be my last unfortunately.) My general dentist had it out in just a few minutes. All I felt was a lot of pressure from him pulling it out but no pain. Even though there was not much tooth to grab on to, it didn't seem to give him any trouble.

I have yet to get an implant, but I would probably go that route in your situation. I too agree that it is a shame to wear down two perfectly good teeth to seat a bridge when an implant will do the job. Depending upon your area, the price point will not be that much different.

Right now, I don't have anything in that space because I have other problem teeth that will eventually be pulled, two implants placed and bridge over those. But, for the space that is there now, I can eat normally and all that. I just had to let it heal for a week or two.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
(male)

wkcats HB User

thanks for your replys its real help relaxing me a bit.I was worryed about
the pulling of a small peace of tooth left.since the crown is still on I can wait to after the nw year to look into a choice of what to do and if it comes out then I will just talk funny for a while I guess.accully I have a crown on each of the teeth next to the one coming out.I have a bridge on my lower feft
of my mouse now and that went very well.my daughter is 16 and just got an
implant on the tooth next to my bad one last year.she says the first couple of days where the worst.six month latter she got her cown and it looks great.
when your 16 you get through anything at 59 you worry about pain.
what a jerk I am but normal I think.again many thanks for your reply

Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

Oh you're not a jerk at all!!!
I am 51 and had both of my implants done last year. I have to tell you, on a scale of 1-10, my discomfort was maybe a 4. It was just not a big deal for me, and I have a very sensitive mouth, I wasn't being a hero.....

Sue

Last edited by slenderella; 12-19-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Closed Thread