It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

clc0230 HB User
Question Dental Abscess: Failed Root Canal

Hi, really need some help to ease my mind.

5 years ago i had a root canal done and a gold crown fitted after my first molar on the left cracked. Randomly 4 days ago i felt pain in that tooth, it got worse through out the night and the next morning i booked an emergency dental appointment for the next day.

Went to the dentist, he did an x-ray said there is a dark shadow which looks like an infection an he put me on antibiotics. (Metronidazole 200mg 1x3 per day). On that same day after taking the 2nd tablet my face started to swell up and the pain got out of hand. i went to the emergency room an was told i have a abscess and that the antibiotics i was put on isn't strong enough to get to the infection so i was put on more antibiotics an a pain killer (Metronidazole 400mg 1x3 per day, Amoxicilin 500mg 1x3per day and co-dydramol 500mg 2x4 per day).

The pain killers have help, the abscess started point an i rubbed it with salt an it drain alot of blood an pus and the swelling has gone down some. However my gum along my jaw still feels hard an im not sure why this is. my initial thought was i reacted to the Metronidazole which has a side effect of facial swelling but the GP said it wasn't that its an abscess.

If the abscess has drain should my jaw be hard or does it still need draining? Will the antibiotics sort it?.... Please Help... Thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Dental Abscess: Failed Root Canal

Hi,
Antibiotics take at least three days before they start to really work. That the abscess has drained is good, but there is still infection there and will require the FULL dose of antibiotics to clear it up. Be sure to take them all for the prescribed time.

It will take some time to totally resolve. To minimize the swelling you can use ice packs and salt water rinses. The salt water will help ease the pain also.

Sounds as though you're doing everything right and it will be OK in a few days.

Best to you and Happy Holiday.
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
clc0230 (12-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

clc0230 HB User
Talking Re: Dental Abscess: Failed Root Canal

Thanks so much for your reply..... The swelling has reduced dramatically, i look like myself again.... however my gum along my jaw is still swollen, the best way to describe it is it feels quite hard like lumps under my skin....

I just hope that will go away too.

I feel so much better now, starting to eat solids again.

Thanks again x

Old 12-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Dental Abscess: Failed Root Canal

Hi again,
The hardness with gradually go away. It may require a bit of time for the body to fully resolve it. Taking the FULL dose of antibiotic is very important. Not to do so will only "tickle" the bacteria, let them mutate, and then come back with a vengeance. The full dose will kill them all and the infection should then be gone.

Using warm salt water rinses (1/2 tsp to 8oz water) 4 or 5 times a day will also help with any residual swelling.

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing better. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Gellia

The following user gives a hug of support to Gellia:
clc0230 (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
(female)

clc0230 HB User
Talking Re: Dental Abscess: Failed Root Canal

Thank you so much.....Your the best...
Hope u had a wonderful Christmas also. :-D

Closed Thread