It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
(male)

Tomres HB User
Root Canal Problems

I recently had a root canal but ever since then (it's been about a week now.) I have extreme pain where I got the injections. I'm have difficulty eating. Yawning hurts extremely bad. Opening my mouth hurts all the way. Swallowing hurts too. Is this normal? If I move my tongue to the side where it happened. That hurts too. The tooth feels fine though. It's where I had the injections.

I also have quite a bit of pain under my jaw area. It's painful to the slightest touch.

Last edited by Tomres; 01-07-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Root Canal Problems

Hi,
Part of the problem with having a root canal is frequently they use a nerve block to obtain pain relief. The nerve is right in the angle of the jaw and that's where the injection goes. So are all the muscles of the jaw. The needle has to go through the muscle to the nerve and the novocain solution extends the nerve and therefore the muscles.
Then you hold your mouth open for an extended period of time.

The muscles have a tendency to go into spasm and can be very painful in exactly the way you describe. Warm compresses and gentle massage can greatly help as can, from what I hear, chewing gum (obviously on the other side).

It should go away in a week or so. Sorry you hurt. It is pretty common though.

GOOD LUCK and I hope you are pain free soon.
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
(male)

Tomres HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi,
Part of the problem with having a root canal is frequently they use a nerve block to obtain pain relief. The nerve is right in the angle of the jaw and that's where the injection goes. So are all the muscles of the jaw. The needle has to go through the muscle to the nerve and the novocain solution extends the nerve and therefore the muscles.
Then you hold your mouth open for an extended period of time.

The muscles have a tendency to go into spasm and can be very painful in exactly the way you describe. Warm compresses and gentle massage can greatly help as can, from what I hear, chewing gum (obviously on the other side).

It should go away in a week or so. Sorry you hurt. It is pretty common though.

GOOD LUCK and I hope you are pain free soon.
Gellia
Thanks for the post but now I've gotten extremely worried. The tooth is, once again, extremely sensitive to heat. It's only been a week since I've had the root canal done. I'm about to say screw it and let my teeth rot.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
(male)

Tomres HB User

Thanks for the post but now I'm getting more worried. It's only been a week but now the tooth has become, once again, become sensitive to heat. Why is this happening if I had a root canal. I have heard of failed root canals but most posts, online, come from people saying "Years later.." "Five years ago." but a week??

Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
There is always the possibility that tooth sustained a fracture or there was a canal that was hidden and therefore not treated adequately. Failed root canals can come at any time esp if the tooth already had a large filling. Pain after treatment is normal while the tooth recovers from the surgical trauma, but not pain that is increasing in intensity.
That your tooth, and not the jaw angle, is becoming more painful as time goes on is a bit troublesome. So is the remote possibility that it is a different tooth entirely.

Going back to your dentist for an xray to see if they can see a crack in the tooth structure is probably your best bet. Many times they can't be seen though.
If the tooth did sustain a fracture, and it is below the gumline, the tooth is normally considered unsalvageable and would need extraction.

You are really between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully the pain will subside and it was from the surgical trauma of the RCT. If not, you will probably need further treatment on that or another tooth.

GOOD LUCK. It can be very difficult to find where tooth pain is coming from esp. after a RCT. I wish you well and that you are pain free shortly.

My best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread