It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Flexible Partial Plate: How well do they work for you? Any problems?

I am looking to get a three tooth, Partial Flexible Plate on the right upper of my jaw.

I would love to get some feedback from others who have had Flexible Partials, about their experiences with the plate, ...
  • How well do they fit you?
  • How well do they work?
  • Do you have any problems chewing hard or tough foods? Steak?
  • Do you keep them in all the time?
  • Do have to use any adhesives with them?
  • Do you get any sores from them?
  • Is it easy to remove them?
  • Is it easy to put them in?
  • Do they become a little loose when you eat with them?
  • Have you had to get them refitted or relined?
  • Do they feel natural or are you ALWAYS aware that you are wearing an artificial plate in your mouth?

I am looking forward to any responses you may have, either about your own partial plate, or about someone else's that you know about.

Thanks!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-09-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
(female)

J1310 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Flexible Partial Plate: How well do they work for you? Any problems?

Just my opinion but would a bridge work or implants. I had a partial for a while and hated it. Food always gets stuck under it and if you are shy about taking it out in front of people it's hell. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Flexible Partial Plate: How well do they work for you? Any problems?

Thanks for your response.

What type of partial did you have? Was it a Valplast or TCS? Was it metal? plastic? Flexible plastic?

Sorry to hear that you had problems with yours.

I was hoping to hear some success stories.

I am an old guy, close to 70, with Heart Failure. I don't want to go thru anything elaborate, so the flexible plastic TCS partial plate seems to be the best way for me to go. One way or another, as Tim Gunn says on Project Runway, I'll "make it work"!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-15-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

My new TCS partial will be in within a week. I am really excited about it. For the first time, in a long time, I will be able to chew on my right side.

It took three appointments with my dentist. This fourth appointment will be when I get my flexible, plastic TCS partial plate. It was quite a pleasant thing to go through.

I will post again after I use the partial plate for a little while.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I got my TCS partial plate yesterday. It was a 4 tooth partial plate having one "plastic" molar on the left end of my upper jaw, and 3 teeth on the right side of my upper jaw, and a thin, plastic plate lining the frontal roof area of my mouth.

It goes in and comes out fairly easy. It is very light weight. The plastic teeth are very realistic and blend in nicely with my other teeth.

Yesterday's observations:

• The partial plate felt foreign and un-natural.
  • Biting down using the plastic teeth felt gummy.
  • After eating for a while, my gums got a little sore.
    • The soreness was ONLY while biting down on harder foods.
  • The left plastic molar pinched my gums off and on.
    • I learned that I have to eat using both sides of the plate to keep the plate from getting off-kilter.
  • All in all, I felt good having the partial plate, but was a little disappointed.
  • I had Asthma problems throughout last night.

This morning's observations:

• I am only putting the partial into my mouth to eat, and then taking it out.
    • I'll find out tonight if limited exposure to the plate will avoid problems with Asthma.
  • Eating using the partial plate seems more natural today.
  • My gums are less sore this morning while eating!?
  • I am definitely liking this plate more today!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 02-09-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon
I'll find out tonight if limited exposure to the plate will avoid problems with Asthma.
I reduced the Potassium in my diet yesterday, and had no problems last night with breathing. So.... I am beginning to believe that my breathing problems, the night before, were caused by too much potassium in my diet and not because of the new flexible, plastic, partial dentures.

On this third day with these dentures, my gums are still somewhat sensitive during eating. It certainly isn't nearly as nice as eating with permanent teeth, but I find the new dentures tolerable. The advice I have read says to eat "soft" foods for a while, but that is not possible.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've now been using the Partial Plate for nine days. I still have some gum soreness on the left and right sides, worse on the left where the single tooth sits.

I am going to tough this out for a week or two and see if my gums can toughen up so I can chew without discomfort. It is irritating, but not too bad.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Administrator; 02-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I've now been using the Partial Plate for nine days. I still have some gum soreness on the left and right sides, worse on the left where the single tooth sits.
I've now been using the Partial Plate for 12 days. Most of the soreness is gone unless I bite down on something too hard. In fact, the flexible, plastic plate is feeling more and more natural.

This morning while eating I said, "Damn it, I forgot to use the partial plate!", and then realized that the partial plate WAS already in my mouth!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've now been wearing this TCS flexible, plastic, partial plate for 18 days. I can chomp down on salads and other semi-hard foods with only a little discomfort. There are two small troublesome gum sore spots when I have them out and am brushing my teeth. Buts..... each day it gets better and better.

So...... I figured that, at this point, I would answer an earlier post of mine, where I had several questions about buying the partial plate. My responses to my own questions are colored blue.

Quote:
I am looking to get a three tooth, Partial Flexible Plate on the right upper of my jaw.

I would love to get some feedback from others who have had Flexible Partials, about their experiences with the plate, ...
  • How well do they fit you?
    There are a perfect fit. Feel like a natural part of my jaw.
  • How well do they work?
    Not as well as real teeth. There is a little "give" to the teeth due to the softness of my gums.
  • Do you have any problems chewing hard or tough foods? Steak?
    There is still some discomfort, depending upon the hardness of the food.
  • Do you keep them in all the time?
    I take them out at night, and soak them in h2o2 and water.
  • Do have to use any adhesives with them?
    No!
  • Do you get any sores from them?
    Yes, but getting better.
  • Is it easy to remove them?
    It's a little difficult, but not too bad.
  • Is it easy to put them in?
    Yes.
  • Do they become a little loose when you eat with them?
    Not at all!
  • Have you had to get them refitted or relined?
    Not at this time.
  • Do they feel natural or are you ALWAYS aware that you are wearing an artificial plate in your mouth?
    They are feeling more and more normal and natural each day.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
(male)

Felipee HB User

Good day.

I've been reading your log on the partial plates and I would like to ask you, How are you doing now? I need to have one of them done for a missing molar, and I am very curious about your case.

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I had looked into long-lasting, comfortable, real looking, flexible partial plates and found that the leading makers seemed to be Valplast and TCS. My dentist uses TCS, so that was fine.

I had been missing two teeth on the upper right of my jaw for quite a while. I lost the third molar about a year after I had a root canal and the tooth broke off at the gum, so I had a three tooth gap on the upper right side of my jaw.

About three months after that third tooth was pulled, my dentist said that my gum was ready for the plate, so I went in to start the process.

The TCS flexible, plastic partial has one molar on the left upper side of my jaw and three molars/teeth on the right upper side of my jaw. It's taking a little time to get used to the partial because the gums under the partial are somewhat soft and get a little sore. However, that soreness is going away, except when I chew on something too hard.

The partial has a somewhat flat, plastic "plate", about ½ inch wide that covers the top roof of my mouth. My tongue is constantly playing with this roof plate.

I really like the partial, but it does take some getting used to. The TCS and the Valplast are both supposed to be somewhat indestructible and long lasting.

How well they fit and how well they work depends a lot upon the effectiveness and competency of the dentist and his assistants. I've gone to some pretty bad dentists who did some real lousy work, so I've learned to really thoroughly research my dentists before I select one.

Do you have any specific questions?

Let me know what you decide to do, and how well it goes, OK?

Good luck!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 02-26-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
(male)

Felipee HB User

Thank you for the information. I had my my tooth exracted just 3 days ago, so I think I should wait for a while.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I've now been wearing this TCS flexible, plastic, partial plate for 18 days. I can chomp down on salads and other semi-hard foods with only a little discomfort.
This is day 28, using the partial plate. Eating with them, without soreness or discomfort, has continued to improve, except for the hardest of foods. There is one gum sore spot, which I only notice when I brush my teeth and accidentally hit it.

What a great invention!

Edit: It's now been 53 days, using the partial plate. I LOVE it!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-29-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's now about three months since I got the TCS flexible partial plate. The sore spots are totally gone, replaced by callouses.

I really love them. They feel totally natural, just like real teeth. No discomfort at all, no matter how hard the food. They are easy to take out and even easier to put in.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread