It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
(female)

redpenner HB User
Pain despite gelfoam packing - dry socket?

I had a molar extracted by an oral surgeon 5 days ago - the roots were curved and one root was cracked. He packed the socket with Gelfoam impregnated with antibiotic and I followed all of his instructions. Since then the gelfoam has been popping out the top of the hole, little by little, and bits coming off the loose portion, but there's still some gelfoam in there. I have deep pain in there, though, and fear I have a dry socket even though it was packed. Is this possible? Should I pull out what's left of the gelfoam or leave it in there? I'm worried about food etc. getting trapped in there, even though I'm avoiding that side. I'm taking Tylenol #3 for the pain, which works okay, but I'd like to get off it if possible.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Pain despite gelfoam packing - dry socket?

Hi,
Don't touch the gelfoam. It still protects the area from dry socket. It will come out all on its own and that's probably what you are experiencing now. The deep pain you feel could still be from the surgical trauma of the extraction esp. if the roots were curved and the extraction a bit more difficult.

As long as you aren't experiencing any swelling or infection, the healing is taking place. The gelfoam protects the area until a natural "scab" can form.

Five days out isn't very long. It does take awhile for the mouth to heal a major extraction. If you are still having problems in a few days a call to your oral surgeon would be in your best interests.

GOOD LUCK.
My very best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
redpenner (01-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread