It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
(male)

pill HB User
Went to dentist after 15 years, pain in mouth and questions

Well I know this is going to sound pretty stupid but I finally went to a dentist after 15 years (hadn't been to one since). Finally got insurance through my company and I was pretty sure and paranoid I had a cavity but luckily when I went in to get my cleaning, the dentist told me I had no cavities, but my gums looked swollen. They did the cleaning and everything, took xrays and the dentist and her assistant had commented that my teeth were really nice and strong but gave me some sort of prescription mouth wash for Gingivitis. They said it was normal for the gums to bleed but that it was easily reverseable.

I guess i'm kind of surprised i didn't have any cavities as I didn't take care of my teeth for a long time but i do have a lot of discomfort in my mouth and my teeth feel kind of funny like brittle, also still have blood when I floss though it's only been a day, Any idea how long it takes for the gums to heal?

Also was wondering if anyone hear would recommend sealant? I guess I have some decent size gaps and the dentist recommended it though it's kind of expensive and my insurance which is met life doesn't cover it.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
Re: Went to dentist after 15 years, pain in mouth and questions

Keep flossing, it will take about 3 days before the bleeding stops, then you have to continue every day for the rest of your life. Concerning the sealant, this is mostly for childrens' teeth so I can't see much point having it as an adult.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User

You can also try a water pic. Along with flossing it helps to get more of the harmful plaque off your teeth and also under the gum line!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
(male)

pill HB User

Well my gums are feeling better and went from red to a pinkish color now. I been brushing twice a day with a electric toothbrush and using Colgate Periogard. My gums still look swollen but I take it that it will take a little bit of time to fully heal.

The following user gives a hug of support to pill:
armywife2007 (01-18-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I'm really glad to hear that you are improving. It will continue to improve but it is really important that you continue to brush twice daily for two minutes each time and floss at least once daily. A total of five minutes out of your life. This will keep the gingivitis from coming back and you can continue to have those strong healthy teeth and more importantly, healthy gums and bone.

Kudos for getting the nerve to go see your dentist after a long period of time but you probably saved your teeth by doing that. Five minutes a day can keep it that way and you can keep that bright beautiful smile.

Congratulations for being a smart dentally informed person!
My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
(male)

pill HB User

I went for my second cleaning the other day and the dentist says that my gums look to be healing very well, it seems like the gums have more of a darker color to them after the cleaning like a reddish look but I did notice in the grooves I can see the gums coming in more now. The dentist mentioned there was some concern about a few areas where the enamel had softened but stated that if properly cared for, they will be fine as I have really strong teeth. They gave me a fluoride treatment and also recommended some mouthwash and floss, my teeth do look more white and they kept recommending sealants because i have deep grooves in the teeth. I'm not sure if I should go through with the sealants? Dentist still said there are no cavities and that the fluoride should help to strengthen the enamel. Also kept mentioning how nice my teeth are, i guess that's always a good thing during a diagnosis.

Anyways I got some of that listerine zero alcohol stuff from walmart and the reach around floss, are there any foods I should be avoiding? I have mainly been eating chicken and fish with rice but I have heard starch can be bad for the teeth.

Last edited by pill; 02-17-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I am SO happy to hear how well you are doing. Thanks for coming back and telling us.

Really, the best thing you can do for good dental health is to be faithful in your twice daily brushing and once daily flossing. As for food, acids, like in soda, and of course most refined sugars (think chocolate) can harm the teeth if left on for extended lengths of time. If you brush twice daily, that won't happen. If you're really worried about it, drink a glass of plain water after each meal. Not only is it good for your general health but it washes away many of the things that can cause dental caries.

Sounds to me like you're going to keep those great teeth GREAT!
Congratulations!

My very best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread