It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
(male)

ged12345 HB User
Unexplained Gum Recession

Hey all,

I'm just trying to get some answers. Around February/March of last year I noticed my teeth were getting a little chipped (found out I was grinding) and my teeth were receding a bit. I had perfect gums, have never had a cavity. At the start of 2008 everything was great. But I stepped up my cleaning a bit at the time because a friend was having gum issues.

I went to about 3 dentists (can't be too careful) who all said it was fine and got a cleaning. I also got a hard acrylic mouth guard that fit well. Just to be sure, I was told to see a periodontist and got recommended by 2 people to a good one they both knew. The perio sat me down, said I had little attachment loss, a bit of recession, said I was probably clenching but said the recession wouldn't get much worse and there'd be no bone loss and no more attachment loss as long as my dental hygeine was good.

This perio showed me how to floss properly, brush my gums properly with a soft toothbrush, told me to use mouthwash etc, which were all things I was doing anyway but it's good to be sure. He also drew diagrams to show me what was going on with my gums. I was very reassured and despite the tooth chipping and a bit of my teeth being ground by the bruxing, I swore to myself I'd take good care of my gums and teeth.

So begun my quest to stop clenching, including relaxing, hypnosis and a few other things. I wore the mouth guard consistently, I kept up my dental routine (brush twice a day, floss at least once). Then, in August/September, I noticed my teeth were a little more cracked and I had more gum recession, but this time there was attachment loss. I had a gap between my teeth and I noticed some small gaps around my top 4 teeth, and bottom teeth.

Let me say that my gums during that time were not bleeding, they were not red or inflammed, they didn't hurt and they were not shifting as far as I could tell.

So, I go and see one of the original dentists and show her a photo of my gums from the start of the year and from a few years back and she umms and ahhs and says: 'Well, do you smoke?'. I've never smoked. 'Do you drink alcohol?'. Up until 2009 I drank only infrequently but after that I'd go out for a drink maybe one or two times a week but rarely drank to excess. During 2011 I'd actually stopped going out as much because I was trying to cut down (and I had less money and was trying to save).

Anyhow, the dentist latched onto me drinking alcohol, laughing and saying 'Ahhh, well I know how it is when guys go out drinking. Stay away from drinks with bubbles as they're acidic. Your recession isn't that bad for a 32 year old.' Really made me mad but I was reassured when she said it wasn't too bad, that I didn't seem to have gingivitis or periodontal disease, so I got another cleaning and kept up with my good oral hygeine routine.

Well, now, 5 months later I have more attachment loss, out of nowhere. From the age of 18-27 I always kept up good dental hygiene and I had no issues, ever. I don't have diabetes or any other major disease. This seems to just be happening out of nowhere.

Can anyone suggest for me what the heck is going on?
Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread