Extraction or Root Canal?
:confused: I am 84 yrs old and have all except my wisdom teeth. Over half have fillings, crowns and/or root canals.
I retired 23 years ago and went to a dentist off/on since then.
I quit the last dentist 6 years ago because he decided to replace a crown that turned out to be in good condition. It was just old like me. I never went back after paying the $1,100contribution to his lifestyle. I brush daily and use dental floss 2-3 times daily. I am also a Vegetarian. About 3 weeks ago I started getting a sharp pain in one of my molars. I found a new dental practise and got xrays, and teeth cleaned. A week later I was examined by another of their expert? and told my molar (#18) had a crown and was in good condition. The pain was probably coming from the root and this ocassionally happens after a considerable length of time. During the week between visits the pain became just a dull ache and tender but no sharp pains. The cure recommended was a root canal through the crown for abt $1,200 cash (I have no insurance) or wait it out and see if the sharp pain re-appears. I chose to wait it out. That 15 minute consultation cost $120. OK folks, here is my question. If the pain comes back should I have the root canal done or have the tooth pulled. Remember I am 84 years old and don't give a d**n if there is a little gap between my teeth. The missing molar won't be seen either.
Re: Extraction or Root Canal?
I think I would get an opinion from a dental surgeon if it really starts to hurt again, and I might lean towards getting it pulled if it won't really affect your looks or chewing. Also healthwise it may be easier on you. But that is only my own opinion, and you have to do what feels right to you. Good luck.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 PM.|