It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

robar71 HB User
problems with white fillings

I have had white filling done on four teeth (all molars) that have been disasterous. The first white filling fell out twice. The second filling hurt to chew on and my dentist carefully removed it and refilled it. The third white filling the tooth is cracked and needs a crown. The forth tooth was sensitive and refilled twice. The dull low grade ache near the inside on my gumline did not go away so I had a root canal. Now 8 days late I STILL have the same exact pain. The endontist that did it is one of the best in our area. Not one of the three dentists have any idea or refuse to give me an answer as to why I am having these problems with white fillings. The endontist that did my root canal seems a bit preplexed about doing the root canal but thought I needed it. I knew almost immediately that the root low grade aching feeling I was having was still there after my root canal. Anyone with similar problems, I would love to hear from.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: problems with white fillings

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but white fillings are notorious for transmitting painful stimuli. If the filling was large, it may be that that is what is happening.
If that is the case, the only thing you can do is have the fillings replaced with amalgam fillings.
Why white fillings seem to do this is unknown to me but I have heard it numerous times in the past.

I have no real good solution. Perhaps your dentist can give you some more information on this. It seems to happen to some people when the filling is large.

GOOD LUCK. On the off chance your pain is from dental pockets holding secretions near the dentin of your teeth, use toothpaste for sensitive teeth for a few weeks (it takes that long to work) and see if that helps. It plugs up the tubules that transmit pain to the nerve.

Hope this helps!
My very best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
robar71 (01-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
(female)

robar71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but white fillings are notorious for transmitting painful stimuli. If the filling was large, it may be that that is what is happening.
If that is the case, the only thing you can do is have the fillings replaced with amalgam fillings.
Why white fillings seem to do this is unknown to me but I have heard it numerous times in the past.

I have no real good solution. Perhaps your dentist can give you some more information on this. It seems to happen to some people when the filling is large.

GOOD LUCK. On the off chance your pain is from dental pockets holding secretions near the dentin of your teeth, use toothpaste for sensitive teeth for a few weeks (it takes that long to work) and see if that helps. It plugs up the tubules that transmit pain to the nerve.

Hope this helps!
My very best to you,
Gellia
Thanks so much for the reply. I am sitting here right now with the same exact low grade ache-irratation I had before the root canal wondering what my next move will be. The crown and 'build up" will be around 1,400.00, the root canal 1050.00 (three fillling 400.00). Why would a 'dead tooth' still hurt? Crike! No more, never another 'white filling!' You are a real sweetheart for replying to me. I feel heaps better. Thanks for making my day.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

robar71 HB User

Hi,

I just posted and can't find where it went. Anyhow, again...after the root canal the "dead" tooth still aches and feels really sensitive. I am at odds at what to do next given I need an expensive crwon and build up. I will have nearly 3500.00 in one tooth. Should I cut my loses and have it yanked and eventually have another tooth put in? What to do. I am still reeling over the fact that before I had the root canal, I went to another dentist and asked for an amalagam filling. He told me how superieor his resin one was never telling me that he didn't do amalagam. I found this out later from a friend. Anyhow, thanks so much for the reply. You are quite a lovely person for replying. i am on my way to get some Sensidine!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,
Well,..there are usually only a few reasons why a root canaled tooth still hurts. First, the root canal procedure didn't completely clean out all the nerve. This can happen when there is a hidden canal or the root canal bends and the instruments can't reach. Many times the nerve will die on it's own and be fine. Other times, not, and the RC needs further treatment or fails.
The other thing is that the tooth may have a small crack in it below the gumline and the periodontal ligament is pulling on it. That pain won't go away and extraction is usually warranted. If that is the case, I urge you to explore getting an implant. They're so easy today (I have four and my DH has eight) and don't hurt any worse than a root canal. Expense is usually a bit more than a root canal but in the range that you have been talking about for your RCT and crown. Mine ran $2K for the implant and $1175 for the crown.

Hope this helps. Perhaps the toothpaste is all you need but if the pain continues you may have to realize that the RCT has failed.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you are.
My very best to you,
Gellia

The following user gives a hug of support to Gellia:
robar71 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
(female)

robar71 HB User

Gellia,

You are a real sweatheart. I have always explained that it felt like there was a crack near my gumline on the inside of my mouth. Of course, most of the time I do not feel like I am heard. I am going to the endontist tomorrow, so we will see. Can you believe I am going on a cruise Friday? A floating buffet with a mouth that hurts. Go figure. I just hope none of this business goes bad because I have a new hip implant, as well as a new knee.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I have been looking into this dental tourism. Why not get a vacay out of it. My bro who lives in Australia had an implant put in Bali and was very pleased. I will go either there or Costa Rica where I found the best of the best. Still expensive but not like here in the USA.

Again, thank you so very much.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GOOD LUCK! One caution about seeking dental care overseas. Many times the implants that are used are not compatible with what we have in the US. There are many dentists that will not treat a patient with a problem that another overseas dentist has handled. Ask your dentist first if he is amicable to treating you if you have work done elsewhere.

Again, good luck! I hope you are pain free very soon and enjoy that floating buffet!
My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
(female)

robar71 HB User

Gellia,

I went and saw my endondist's partner today and he said their is nothing wrong with the root canal and he feels the tooth needs to be crowned to re-establish the contact. What the bloody hell does that mean anyway? I am very disappointed in his assessment. These people think you are made of money. I told him my gut doesn't feel like a crown will help the problem just like I felt the tooth didn't really needed a root canal. He does not think the tooth is cracked. What to do next?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
I "think" what your dentist means is the crown sealing the post area off. In other words, making contact with the gumline and the crown sealing the post off.

Boy, that really does put you between a rock and hard place. Is the toothpaste helping at all? If so, then he may have something there as to it making contact and being sealed from painful stimuli from collecting around the tooth dentin.
If it's not helping at all, then I think he should explain why he thinks getting a crown on a tooth that is still hurting will help (and the sarcastic me wants to say...except his pocketbook).

Good luck.
My very best to you and I hope you really enjoy your cruise.
Gellia

Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
(female)

robar71 HB User

Gellia,

You are definitely been a bright spot in my day! Thanks for helping me understand what this dentist was talking about. Crike, I can explain things better to my standard poodle. He kept going over the same thing without bothering to explain what the bloody hell he was talking about. Excuse me but I am a lay person here. I was thinking 'contact' as between the teeth. It is absolutely strange this feeling on the inside of my tooth. It's like when you burn the inside of your mouth bad in one spot. Then the whole tooth gets cranky. I can't believe they really don't know what's going on. It really makes you wonder about modern medicine.

How do you know so much? I hope it's not from personal experience. I am an absolute expert of knee problems LOL!

I will think of you when I am aboard the 'bloat boat' on the high seas.

Barb

Closed Thread