It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

gclaec HB Usergclaec HB User
Severe infection/bridge decayed

Hello,
First let me say I have extreme fear of dentist. 24 years ago I was passanger in auto accident. Had extensive surgery on jaw. I had to have a bridge put in because of fracture killed roots in 3 front teeth, bridge is 4 front teeth. fast forward.. My fear, had me avoid dentist. would go when bridge fell out, glue it back in and be done.. that is until a year ago when it fell out, the dentist told me I needed implants, the gums were so imflamed, and infected. Under bridge, tooth with post about gone, next to it BLACK and gum apparently tatooed, tooth that had no root canal under bridge, is brown. I blew off the warning because in no way could I even think about it financially. I took antibiotic and moved on..

for the past 6 months I have been in pain, I was on antibiotic for sinus infection and lymph node infection a few days before christmas. in which a week after antibiotics finished infection was back.. Finally last week bridge fell out again, I couldnt take pain.. went to dentist (new one) and was told severe infection, implants, need 4 extractions one of them is the tooth next to bridge. Dr said infection so bad he wants ct scan to make sure its not in bone. I was sent to oral surgeon for "consult" came out being told, bridge is noooo good, and the cost for just implants and extraction is $14,200 there is no choice here. infection will not clear unless teeth are pulled. And it would need to be paid upfront.. seriously,,

They put me on pain medication and antibiotic, while I get clearence from dr (I also have Lupus and blood clot disorder) I can not afford this in any way, we barely make enough money to pay current bills and our credit is very very bad. I seriously do not know what to do,, please help me.. It is my front teeth the pain is almost unbearable even on pain medication.. I am so upset.. what do you do if you have no money, is there any alternatives, I have insurance dental (only pays $1500) and medical. I have never even had a cavity, this is all from an auto accident which case was closed. Someone suggested the hospital medical school, but even then I do not think I could ever pay the cost unless I win lottery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Severe infection/bridge decayed

I am so sorry to hear about your problems gclaec. Why can't you start with a denture until you save up enough money for implants?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
(female)

They have not given me that option? I dont mean to sound stupid, but how do I get my dentist to this option? Why would this not be suggested even when I told them I could not afford implants. I am in so much pain riht now, the side of my face is numb and throbbing is in my face, mouth and jaw. Thanks so much

Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Go back and ask for that option. It's usually the other way around, implants are usually an option if a person doesn't want a partial or a denture. I'd ask on Monday, good luck!

Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I'm with SanyBelle! If you don't want implants or can't afford them, a super choice is a Removable Metal Partial.

I had a RMP for my four top front teeth while I waited for my implants to heal. I LOVED it. The teeth were beautiful and I had a great smile while using it. It was held by two small clips on my back teeth and you couldn't see them at all. I had mine all ready and made when I went and had my teeth extracted for the implants. At no time was I without teeth.

Although I do love my implants, the teeth were nicer on the partial. Mine was four teeth (called pontics) on the partial and the cost was $1250.

I hope this helps. There are certainly other options for someone that does not want implants.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you do.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User

Dentist rarely want people to get dentures because then their work is done. I have 2 implants that cost $3000 each ($6000 total) and the crown on one of them keeps coming loose, so I have to keep going back to get it fixed (but dentist doesn't dare charge me) I also just had to crowns done on 2 teeth, one being a prior root canal (replacement crown) and another crown on a tooth that had a huge filling...that was another $2500....So $8500 all out of my pocket in past year for 4 teeth and nothing but trouble...I wouldn't ask at all, I would tell them you want dentures because that is all you can afford and if they say no, move on to another dentist. You are the customer.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
(female)

Hello,
Went to another consult today. Funny, different dentist, refered me to same oral surgeon. He told me omplants is the best option, but could do dentures for now. Great thing is it will end up being only about 2,000 out of pocket up front including 4 extractions.

The bad thing is, I have been on antibiotic for 10 days, the dr today took xray and told me the infection is in the bone he can see it on the small xray. The pain is getting worse everyday. The pain medication is not even helping anymore. I am so worried cause the pain is in my jaw my face is tingling and roof of my mouth is now sore and my throat feels itchy and sore. The pain is so bad I am debating going to the er.

I called the surgeon to ask what I should do and didnt hear back from them. I do not understand how the dentist today did not see infection to bone as urgent, am I being over anxious about this? I know once I pay the up front fees I can then get impression for dentures which will take 10 days to 3 weeks to get in then I can have surgery to xtract 4 teeth that are infected, broken infected roots. How can I last another 3 weeks like this? The pain is so bad, getting worse does this mean anything?

Thanks for help I am very scared.

Closed Thread