It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
(male)

Estragon HB User
Tooth pain, nerve pain, or what?

For over a week, my back teeth on the right side of my mouth have been hurting whenever they come into contact with cold or hot food/liquid.

Normally I would think something is wrong with my teeth. However, the sensitivity doesn't stay put in one tooth. It moves around, sometimes hitting the lower tooth, sometimes the upper. Also, the pain usually comes only when in contact with something cold or hot. Otherwise, it generally doesn't bother me.

Anyone had a similar problem? I'm wondering if it is a problem with a nerve in the region, rather than with a tooth.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Tooth pain, nerve pain, or what?

Hi,
It's possible you are developing pockets that hold saliva close to the dentin of the tooth. This transmits pain from hot and cold stimuli to the nerve. If that is the case, toothpaste for sensitive teeth works great for this!

There is also the possibility that one or more teeth is developing an infection and the pain is being referred to other teeth. If there is an infection in one tooth it can raise it up some from pressure and cause pain to the teeth either above or below the offending tooth, esp if you clench or grind your teeth at night.

Only way to know for sure is to get yourself to the dentist and have your mouth evaluated and xrays to look for any infection brewing.

In the meantime, try the toothpaste and see if it helps. It takes about two weeks to work but it's a cheap fix if that is the problem.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
My best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
Estragon (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

See your Dentist,
I'm of to see mine tomorrow with the exact same problem. I've just had a run of bad luck with my teeth. Three weeks ago a wisdom tooth had to come out owing to an absess, then two fillings had to be done.
Ten days ago I had them cleaned and now I have two together causing pain with hot/cold food or drinks infact I dont really know which one is the problem.
I have never found toothpaste for sensitive teeth one bit helpful and I've tried it for years.
I think you should see your Dentist. Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
(male)

Estragon HB User

Follow-up: I went to the dentist. She said the nerve in my molar was probably inflamed due to the large filling pressing on it, and that the only way to fix it was by root canal surgery. I told her I would think about it.

She didn't seem 100% sure herself. I have the Xray and she wrote "chronic pulpitis?" with a question mark.

I will now research the situation, and try to get a second opinion.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
If it's chronic pulpitis, a root canal is the usual treatment. Generally pain to heat stimuli is an indication, esp. if it lasts for any length of time. It can happen with a large filling. They can be just a little bit too close to the nerve. But if it's happening all over your mouth it sounds as though you may have a bit of gum recession and the dentin in your teeth has become exposed. Is that possible? If so, the toothpaste would help but it's going to take a few weeks. For every person it doesn't help there are many that it does. You have to give it a chance and naturally it will not take away all the pain.

GOOD LUCK. I hope your are pain free without a RCT and the toothpaste works for you.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estragon View Post
Follow-up: I went to the dentist. She said the nerve in my molar was probably inflamed due to the large filling pressing on it, and that the only way to fix it was by root canal surgery. I told her I would think about it.

She didn't seem 100% sure herself. I have the Xray and she wrote "chronic pulpitis?" with a question mark.

I will now research the situation, and try to get a second opinion.

If I was you I would give it awhile to settle down, that's if its not too painful.
Sometimes after a filling I have had pain or discomfort for a couple of weeks.
Perhaps you could seek opinion from another Dentist.

Solofelix.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
(male)

Estragon HB User

Thanks folks.

Since it's not urgent and the dentist isn't completely sure herself, I'm going to give it another week or 2 to see if it settles down. For several days now I've been brushing with sensitive toothpaste and a soft brush, so we'll see how that goes.

The dentist did isolate the problem as being in my backmost lower right molar. The sensation of pain radiates from there rather than jumping around.

One other odd thing. Although normally the tooth doesn't bother me, when I lie down to go to sleep, the tooth and adjoining area often start hurting, often lasting up to half an hour. Sometimes I take an aspirin, and eventually the pain goes away. It then doesn't bother me for the rest of the night, and I feel fine in the morning.

The dentist said this was a result of lowering one's defenses when going to sleep - i.e. you don't have other things to be busy with, so the pain takes over. This sounds plausible, but doesn't explain why I sleep soundly afterwards.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
(male)

Estragon HB User

Update. In the last couple of weeks the tooth has improved a lot. It feels about 80% better; still some minor sensitivity but everything is going the right way. It also stopped hurting when I go to bed. It looks like my decision not to rush into root canal was the right one.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
That's wonderful news. Good luck with it. It does sound like things are moving in the right direction.

GOOD LUCK and thanks for letting us know.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
(male)

Estragon HB User

And a big thanks to you Gellia, and to solofelix also. You've both been very helpful

Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estragon View Post
And a big thanks to you Gellia, and to solofelix also. You've both been very helpful

Pleased to hear the tooth pain has improved.

Like I said some treatments to a tooth can cause sensitivity for awhile,
Glad you gave it a chance.

All the best, Solofelix.

Closed Thread