It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
(male)

thetoll HB User
Pull, dentures, or something else?

Hello,

Weird situation, hope someone either has gone through this (take that back, hope no one has gone through this)

I guess you have 8 what I would call meat grinding teeth in your mouth (minus pulled wisdom teeth)

I have one bottom left tooth which just finally cracked (the one in front of it is gone and is healed shut at gumline.

Upper right one tooth left and it either needs a crown, bridge, root canal, or something.

Both upper left teeth, altough they are both kind of infected and would probably need crown and root canal.

Lower right is crown and bridge, but may be infection under that (no clue)

Sorry about all that, but wanted to give you an accurate picture.
Can I just get dentures for the back 8 teeth? I cannot afford 8 root canals and crowns, bridges, etc. and the teeth in front of it i.e. the front teeth are fine. I don't want to stop eating meat and things like that because I just get those teeth pulled.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Pull, dentures, or something else?

Hi,
Let me see if I can sort this all out. First, the bottom left tooth that has cracked. A fractured tooth is unsalvegable. That would have to be pulled.
The other teeth may be saved if you had extensive treatment on them. Infections usually require a root canal and crown and there has to be a healthy tooth to anchor a bridge onto.

The problem I see is that there would be nothing to hold a removable denture in place. You need healthy teeth to clasp a denture onto also. With no back teeth in place that are healthy, you may have a problem with that. Also you can't really chew meat with a removable denture.

You may want to consider extraction and then an implant supported denture. A bridge can't be attached to a normal tooth and an implant because of movement but a two implant supported denture would allow you to still chew meat. Otherwise, I don't see where that will be possible for you. Your molars are your masticating (grinding) teeth and have to be securely in place. A denture won't do that for you and I'm not sure you have sufficient healthy teeth for a bridge.

Only thing would be to get an appt with a dentist and ask what your options are.
Good luck. Don't let those teeth remained infected. Infection dissolves bone and bone is necessary for even implants.

My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
(male)

thetoll HB User

I believe it is cracked but it could be that an old filling is coming out or something.

The implants are not an option I'd have to have 3 implants as both the lower left and upper right will have to go, only leaving the bridged lower right and the all in place (but almost for sure infected upper left) Implants are expensive and by my understanding of what you are saying, get a few implants then a temp denture, which is incredibly expensive.

Guess it's yank all my teeth time, dang shame with all the fronts and several on both side being good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi,
Let me see if I can sort this all out. First, the bottom left tooth that has cracked. A fractured tooth is unsalvegable. That would have to be pulled.
The other teeth may be saved if you had extensive treatment on them. Infections usually require a root canal and crown and there has to be a healthy tooth to anchor a bridge onto.

The problem I see is that there would be nothing to hold a removable denture in place. You need healthy teeth to clasp a denture onto also. With no back teeth in place that are healthy, you may have a problem with that. Also you can't really chew meat with a removable denture.

You may want to consider extraction and then an implant supported denture. A bridge can't be attached to a normal tooth and an implant because of movement but a two implant supported denture would allow you to still chew meat. Otherwise, I don't see where that will be possible for you. Your molars are your masticating (grinding) teeth and have to be securely in place. A denture won't do that for you and I'm not sure you have sufficient healthy teeth for a bridge.

Only thing would be to get an appt with a dentist and ask what your options are.
Good luck. Don't let those teeth remained infected. Infection dissolves bone and bone is necessary for even implants.

My best to you,
Gellia

Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
(male)

thetoll HB User

I believe it is cracked but it could be that an old filling is coming out or something.

The implants are not an option I'd have to have 3 implants as both the lower left and upper right will have to go, only leaving the bridged lower right and the all in place (but almost for sure infected upper left) Implants are expensive and by my understanding of what you are saying, get a few implants then a temp denture, which is incredibly expensive.

Guess it's yank all my teeth time, dang shame with all the fronts and several on both side being good.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,
They have implant supported bridges. They are permanent. You get implants as the anchor teeth. They also have complete dentures that can use "mini" implants. The full denture snaps onto the implant head itself. They can be removable or permanent.
I believe they require four implants for each set.

Implants can be a great alternative to a bridge and in the long run actually cheaper. If you knew exactly what was required to get your mouth back in shape you'd be able to figure out your best option better. You need to see your dentist to tell you that.

Good luck and I hope you can resolve your issues quickly.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
(male)

thetoll HB User

Hello,

Those suggestions just can't be afforded.

I am not sure where you live at, but here implants per tooth are 2k plus (per tooth)

Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
Yes, while being wonderful, implants are expensive unfortunately. They run approximately $4 - 5K each here (my DH is getting one right now) when you figure in the cost of the abutment and crown. Dental treatment can be very costly.

The only one that can really give you any idea of restoration is your dentist. Perhaps you can work out a payment plan for treatment.

I hope you can resolve your dental issues quickly.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread