It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

geminigrl HB User
Needed Lingual Nerve Microsurgery after Wisdom Tooth Extraction now I in pain

To say my life has been a living nightmare after I had my wisdom tooth extracted is an understatement.

The oral surgeon that removed my lower bony impacted wisdom tooth cut my lingual nerve. I immediately felt numbness and 2 days later I developed a dry socket. I recall having to leave work a few times because of the dry socket pain. It is a pain so unbearable I wanted to just end it all.

A month after the extraction, I was in a lot of pain again with a throbbing & shooting pain starting from my gum line all the way up to my cheek area under my eye. My oral surgeon kept telling me how "rare" my pain was and could not longer help me or refer me to a doctor that could. I later went to so many doctors and no one can tell me why I was having this pain. The doctors kept saying the bone healed fine and they had no answers or solutions.

I finally found a Maxillofacial/Oral Surgeon that specializes in nerve damage since they are very rare, not many doctors that can do this surgery. I learned my lesson and I did my homework and research on this doctor.

I underwent lingual nerve reconstruction 9 days ago and day 5 post surgery I developed a throbbing excruciating pain that has woke me out of my sleep. I have it under control taking narcotics prescribed. I know this pain very well this is the same pain I had a month after the extraction.

Has anyone ever had shooting & throbbing pain after lingual nerve microsurgery? The doctors don't really seem to understand, they keep telling me it is pain from the surgery since they had a difficult time finding the nerve.

I am worried I will be in chronic pain again. I do not want to be on medications all my life. I still want to plan a family.

Last edited by geminigrl; 02-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
(male)

Number 28 HB User
Re: Needed Lingual Nerve Microsurgery after Wisdom Tooth Extraction now I in pain

Geminigirl, I am sorry I don't have much to offer you in the way of advise. I hope you are getting the support you need and finding the right doctors. All I can say is that after a simple, normal tooth pulling about 6 weeks ago I had pain for almost 2 weeks after. Everyone I knew said that was not normal but the dentist who pulled the tooth did say it could take a while for the pain to subside. I was on 800 mg. of Ibuprofen every 4-6 hrs. for 9 days and then every 8 hrs. for the last several days. Your situation sounds very different but I offer you hope that pain that seems everlasting can eventually go away. I wish you the best.

Closed Thread