It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
(male)

JB68711 HB User
Got a "Night Guard" for Grinding Teeth

From what I know I've been grinding my teeth for 11 years. Finally got a night guard from my dentist, custom made. Last night I tried it out and within the first minute of laying down, I noticed it was hard not to drool. I ended up taking it out 2 hours into my sleep. It was hard to fall asleep in. Sometimes I get an itch (wherever) while I'm falling asleep, and I'll try not to scratch it until it REALLY bothers me and then I'll move to scratch it. That's kind of like how the night guard was, I was trying to bear with it and fall asleep and then woke up and had enough of it and took it out. Any suggestions? Do I just need to get used to it? Luckily my insurance paid 80% for it, but really I just want my teeth to stay in good shape.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Got a "Night Guard" for Grinding Teeth

My adult son had the same issues with the "Night Guard" from the dentist. His was custom made of a hard plastic. He eventually broke it (probably on purpose ) and I bought him a "Doctor's Night Guard" brand. It's a softer material kind of like a football mouthguard but more sturdy. You put it in boiling water and form it. Instructions are included. I think it was about $20 at Walmart or Walgreens. He's used it for about 3 years and it's still going strong. Unfortunately, the drooling is part of having the mouthguard, but it's not as bad as it was with the harder plastic. I think you will get used to it after a while, just like anything else new. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I wear a night guard made by the dentist and, like you say, you just need to get used to it. There are still some nights where I have trouble sleeping and just can't wear it, but I find that when I do, it truly is helpful, and makes a difference.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User

I have had my night guard for about 1 1/2 years now, because apparently I was grinding and didn't know it. This is a custom made, hard plastic night guard and it is kind of bulky. I promise it does take some time to get use to and after a while, like me, you wouldn't imagine going to bed without it. I have tried the over the counter night guards, the ones that you put in boiling water and mold yourself. Those didn't last long for me at all. I would grind though one in about a week. And honestly I didn't want to pay $20 every week.

Closed Thread