It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

Tra23 HB User
Peridontal here with questions

Hi everyone,
New here and have a few questions. Than you for taking the time to read my post.

I'm 40 and have Periodontal. My gums are really receeded and I have large pockets on almost all of them and have bone loss. None of my teeth are loose but my day is coming soon. I was told in my 20's I would likely start losing teeth in my late 30's but it hasn't happened yet. Bad teeth is in my entire family and I often wonder if it's hereditary. I've had sinus problems for 20 years, not sure if that's related.

I have terrible habits, I brush only once or twice a day and never before bed. I don't floss and don't use mouthwash. I go to the dentist for a cleaning once a year and basically just tell them I can't afford everything they want to do to me (my insurance stinks). Xrays alone - a few hundred dollars I don't have.

For the last few weeks all my teeth have been really sensitive, something I've never had a problem with before. My whole mouth is just sensitive, I don't know how to describe it other than that. Has anyone with Periodontal experienced this and is the next step loosing teeth? I'm very worried.

I don't know anything about what my options are for when my teeth do start falling out. Do I wear dentures? Do they have tooth implants or something like a fake tooth they screw into my jawbone? What happens?

My other questions are I'd like to start (I know too late) taking better care of my teeth. What should I be doing? Brushing after every meal? Flossing after every meal? Mouthwash?

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Peridontal here with questions

Hi,
It's never too late to start a good oral hygiene program. Brushing for a minimum of two minutes twice a day does it well. Flossing once a day is VERY important. Plaque will start to hard into calculus in approximately twelve hours. Brushing twice daily prevents it from building up and hardening. Flossing removes it from between the teeth where brushing misses. Five minutes a day is all you really need for good oral hygiene. Adding a water pik can also help remove plaque that gets below the gumline.

I'm sorry you are having periodontal problems. When the gums recede from bone loss, (gums must have bone below them to adhere) the dentin in the teeth becomes exposed. Painful stimuli from food and liquids can then reach the nerve via small tubules in the dentin. The result for you is pain. The only thing you can do to help is use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. It contains an ingredient that plugs up the small tubules that transmits the pain. It takes about 10 days to two weeks before you can feel any results though.

As for treatments, that would be on an individual basis. Teeth can be replaced by implants but they are costly. Bridges and dentures can also be used. That would be up to your dentist and you to decide what is in your best interests and still stay within financial reason.

GOOD LUCK. Start a good oral hygiene program today. You'll be glad you did.

My very best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread