It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

leila21 HB User
Question infection/root canal/fracture?/antibiotics again?

Hi,
I caused damage to an already bad tooth (4 fillings) and after, the tooth became badly infected. It's a back upper molar. My dentist sent me to a periodontist who said that it would be tricky to do an implant because the bone had degenerated there but he felt the tooth was still very solid. He said you can either pull it, wait, do an implant (which would probably involve a sinus lift) or do a root canal and see how long it would last.

I discussed it with my dentist and because it was so badly infected, she put me on a course of strong antibiotics, first did a crown lengthening surgery and got rid of TONS of the infection. Then after monitoring it for a number of months, did the 1st part of the root canal.

I went back a couple of weeks ago, she did a cleaning, took xrays and said it was VERY tough to see, but there might be a hairline fracture, maybe not. The infection as VERY VERY minor in the bone (where it had been huge) and I have no pain or other symptoms (pus, bleeding, etc.) With the temp crown I can eat and chew on the tooth.

Dentist felt I should wait for another few weeks, put on the regular crown and I probably will have saved the tooth (at least for now or a number of years.) Tooth is still very stable.

Question: two nights ago, after a very stressful day, I ground my teeth and the next day (yesterday) the tooth and area REALLY ached very very badly. But it subsided. I didn't take any iboprofen. By evening, it felt ok and I could even eat on it. I used a waterpik on the area at night as well as elec. toothbrush--no bleeding. This morning it felt fine. I called the dentist to tell her. So my question is: when I go in a few weeks for permanent crown, should I take a course of antiobiotics just to be safe and (hopefully) get rid of the rest of the infection? She doesn't feel it's a great idea to take a lot of antibiotis. This whole thing has now been going on for about 7 or 8 months and while the infection is small, I'd feel more comfortable without any infection in my body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread