It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Ren59 HB User
Denture adhesive

I am a 59 year old retired woman and I had all my teeth pulled in July 2011, have gone through 3 dentists to get a set that fit correctly. Just got my set from 3rd dentist and it appears these are going to be the best to date. Still have to use adhesive on both upper and lower which I detest. To those of you who asked about the thermoplastic adhesive, Cushion Grip, I have tried it after ordering from Amazon. Is not sold in stores. I applied it as instructed and the fit was really great BUT....the stinging/burning on my gums was intolerable. It's almost like having a reline done but one you can do simply yourself. If you can get past the stinging issue, it's worth a shot. Just remember to warm the tube in a glass of very warm water to make it pliable.

I have used the powders (Polident, Rigident and Fixodent) and they are okay. If you really have loose fitting dentures, they won't hold as well because the denture material is not fitting up next to your natural gums and the powder does not fill in the gaps. This is the easiest to remove though from your gums and dentures.

HATE, HATE, HATE Polident and Fixodent cream adhesives!!! They are the WORST to remove from your mouth and dentures. I did not find they held for very long either.

The best cream adhesive I have found so far is one called Secure. I find it easier to remove than the others, not easy, just easier. I soak my dentures overnight and then use a denture brush to clean out any residue left on them.

I still have issues with eating anything with any texture so I am relegated to eating toast, pasta, jello, etc. I'm hoping that the new product will allow me to eat and enjoy some real food!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-22-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

DJMC53 HB User
re: Denture adhesive

I was going to start with how long this whole denture procedure is when I noticed that Ren59 started 3 month before me. Now atleast I know that I'm not alone and I won't feel too sorry for myself.
I had 10 back teeth, or should I say "pieces of what once were teeth" extracted in Oct 2011. Healed and had 4 impressions done during the next 3 months. Had the 10 remaining "teeth" extracted on January 23rd, and full upper and lower immediate dentures placed the same day. UGH! Not too much pain, all my extractions with sedation and pain meds, but the dentures would not stay in place. Had to bite down on gauze to apply pressure to stop the bleeding. Again, not that painful but I was very disappointed on how the dentures were so big. My best day for them fitting was when my gums were swollen! Fortunately (or unfortunate in this case) I'm a very fast healer so the swelling went down almost immediately.
Now the denture cream journey starts- No one told me how hard it was to get that pink, rubber-like stuff, off the roof of my mouth!! It probably would've made me laugh if I was watching a comedy sketch. I'd try to grab hold of the "pink rubberlike gel" and pull it out. Obviously it's slippery, would stretch, and then snap back like a bubberband. So I attack it with the toothbrush. Now it's stuck to the roof of my mouth and the toothbrush so, I try to grab it again. You guessed it - snaps right back to the top of my mouth. Anyway, you come up with ways to clean it, and look forward to the whole thing tomorrow - but you do get better at it.
Then you discover denture powder. Years ago my Mom drove me crazy looking for Super Wernets denture powder. When I did find it I bought every bottle they had. My Mom passed away in 2006, but for some reason I kept her supply of this powder. So I decided to try it and I owe her an apology for making fun of her "obsession". It works great, is much easier to clean, and cushions your gums. Since they no longer make Super Wernets (of course) I HOPE the other powders work as good.
Now, my dentist says I have to go back to the surgeon and have a alveoloplasty. Has anyone else had one of these? Apparently it has something to do with the way the bone is healing. I have a very sore spot on the left front of my bottom gum. Putting my denture in is extremely painful, and forget biting down on anything. I hate the idea that I have to have my gum cut again, and start the healing process all over, but the dentist said otherwise it will hurt all the time. So, I see the surgeon on Monday.
Anyway, Ren59, hope you have good luck with the new adhesive - I read about this product also, AND REALLY HOPE YOU GET TO CHEW REAL FOOD REAL SOON!! Anyone want to join me for another bowl of soup?!
But PS - I do have a mouth full of really pretty teeth which I haven't had in years, so in the long run I would say its going to be worth it.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJMC53 For This Useful Post:
Ren59 (02-17-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
(male)

Clarence123 HB User

Hi there, I too hate the various dental fixatives and I,m looking for an alternatve as I simply cannot eat properly with my dentures in.

Would really like to hear how you got on with 'Sof-grip'.
best regards.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-22-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Ren59 HB User

I did use the "Sof-Grip" which is from England and was not pleased with it at all.....there was not much product in the containers and did not have enough to adequately cover my upper plate.....plus it was very thin.....

my hubby has had dentures for over 35 years and has NEVER used any kind of adhesive on his, just pops them in the morning and off he goes....plus he can eat ANYTHING he wants with no problem......the only way I can truly eat real food is if I glue in my dentures within a half hour of eating and then they hold really well....but if I wait several hours afterwards to eat, the bottom always pops loose.....AGGRAVATING!!!!....anyway, I hope this helps and I wish for you continued improvement with your dentures

Last edited by Administrator; 08-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ren59 For This Useful Post:
Clarence123 (05-15-2012)
Closed Thread