It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

asmith1886 HB User
Scared to death to get 15 teeth pulled and partials placed w/ Oral Sedation!

I'm 25 and have a severe dental phobia. This is why I have 15 teeth that can no longer be saved. Went to consult with an oral sedation dentist who was really nice and said I need all the front top and bottom and some molars pulled. He said he would be placing immediate top and bottom partials. I am soooo scared! In my past getting teeth pulled is so painful! I know you feel pressure but I feel pain! He said he would give me a valium to take the night before and I will take a pill called Halicon 1 hr before the procedure and then he will give me another pill when I get to the office. He said he could keep dosing me until I'm comfortable but I'm scared that's never gonna happen! I just want a pretty smile so bad, am so sick of my broken teeth. I should be happy about this that I will have an attractive smile but I just don't know if I can go forward with it! I can't afford IV or general sedation so this is my last hope. Is it hard to get used to partials? I'm only 25 and I know it's going to be a huge adjustment period.Going to get impressions made next week and nervous about that as well as I don't know what there going to do. I just have so many questions I could sit here for hours. If anyone has been through this esp. with oral sedation I would love to hear how it went. Just thinking about it makes me start sweating, heart pounding, panic attack type feeling. Thanks in advance for anyone who replies!

The Following User Says Thank You to asmith1886 For This Useful Post:
phyllis14425 (06-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Scared to death to get 15 teeth pulled and partials placed w/ Oral Sedation!

Hi,
I know the whole process seems scary, but you will do fine. The front teeth are the easiest to remove. They will be a breeze. Once they're gone, the others will be easy also cause they'll fall right in line.
I had my front top four extracted and implants placed with less anesthetic than you will have. It really wasn't bad at all. I was amazed at the amount of worrying (and crying) I did for nothing.
The worst part of the whole thing for me was the shots behind my front teeth. I won't lie! Those hurt like stink. Once that's over with though, you really don't feel anything. The pills they will give you will reduce your anxiety to zilch, too. Just remember that anyone can stand anything for a short period of time. See if you can find one of those "stress balls" to squeeze when you go and refocus your concentration to your hands. Tell yourself you can do anything for a short period of time. Repeat it to yourself three times in a row, and whatever was happening will be over.

I had partials placed at that time also. I felt fine when I left the office (I had nitrous) and had a great looking smile! The partials were certainly prettier than my natural teeth (I had walked through a plate glass door).

I did get swollen. Sleeping with your head upright some will help. Swelling was the worst on the third day but went down quickly after. The partials hurt the roof of my mouth where I had the shots but I wore them. I didn't have bottoms so you will have to deal with them, too. Maybe someone will come on that has them and help. I would say it took me about three weeks before I found myself able to feel a bit more normal.

Make sure you have ice at home and put it on your face as soon as you can. I used rice in a thin sock that had been in the freezer and it worked great. Nothing drips and it molds to your face. Make two. They last about 20 minutes. You can heat them in the microwave if you want heat, too.

You can do this!! The end result is going to be alot less dental problems and a much brighter and prettier smile. It may take a little while and an adjustment to get there, but focus on the end result!

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you do. We love success stories!
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

phyllis14425 HB User
Re: Scared to death to get 15 teeth pulled and partials placed w/ Oral Sedation!

Did you get the procedure done? I have advanced periodontal desease and all my teeth have to be removed I never had a tooth pulled so I'm very scared

Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
(male)

keithn101 HB User

Hi I just had 17 nteeth removed yesterday and denture put in. Yes it hurt but as I see it it ill be worth it. I have vicadin for the pain and began to take them before the shots wore off and slept through the day and night. !st day with the new teeth was a drag don't go thinking you will be able to chomp into a steak, pudding was hard enough. I only wish I did this years ago.

Closed Thread