It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

shalora1 HB User
Very bad teeth at a young age

Hello,

I have very bad teeth. By 21 I have had five teeth pulled because they rot, two root canals, and cavities on every single of my molars. Every time I visit my dentist he is horrified because he says I have the teeth of a 40 year old. He says that they are very soft.

My 15 year old sister has the exact same problem, and my dentist thinks we'll both need dentures by 40.

Could there be any underlying cause for this? What can my sister and I do to help our teeth?

Any advice hugely appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
(female)

asmith1886 HB User
Re: Very bad teeth at a young age

I'm sorry uour having to deal w/ this. I'll be watching this post as I'm having the same issues with my daughter but she is only 6! I'm hoping her adult teeth will be in better shape than her baby teeth. Unfortunately ( and going against what some dentists will say) some people are just prone to weak teeth regardless of how great your oral hygiene routine is. My daughter's dentist told me to be sure and brush ANYTIME she eats. Not just 2 or 3 times a day. We sometimes brush 6-7 times a day if she has been snacking a lot. He also told us to cut as much sugary things out of her diet as possible. Also flossing after any time she eats. She also uses ACT mouthwash ( not sure the best kind to get for an adult) But what your looking for w/ the mouthwash is the type that has the strongest amount of fluoride in it. Sorry I couldn't be more help as I'm sure your already utilizing these ideas but I'm in the same boat as you w/ my child. I hope you get some answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Some people have a genetic tendency to tooth decay, but genes do not cause the problem. The cause is inappropriate sugar consumption. That is sugar in foods from breakfast cereals to tomato ketchup and fruit juice and sodas. It is there in most things you eat. Limit sugar-containing foods to after meals and don't snack between meals except on nuts and similar foods.
Strengthen teeth by rinsing with a fluoride mouthwash and use fluoride toothpaste.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Some people have a genetic tendency to tooth decay, but genes do not cause the problem. The cause is inappropriate sugar consumption. That is sugar in foods from breakfast cereals to tomato ketchup and fruit juice and sodas. It is there in most things you eat. Limit sugar-containing foods to after meals and don't snack between meals except on nuts and similar foods.
Strengthen teeth by rinsing with a fluoride mouthwash and use fluoride toothpaste.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Soft, eh? That does sound like it could be partly inherited. Definitely, fluoride might help to strengthen your teeth, it did strengthen mine.

Certainly avoid snacking on anything with sugar or starch, between meals drink only water.

Also, you may want to discuss sealants with your dentist.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
(male)

dknight211 HB Userdknight211 HB User

You didn't mention, but it's important to floss as well.

Bacteria consume starch and sugars that are trapped in between teeth, and toothbrushes cannot reach this area. Over the period of a few years, you get cavities in this area and weakened teeth.

It is also worth it to get a high-quality electric toothbrush like a Sonicare. They used to be $100 or more, but now you can get a basic Sonicare for $40 or less that works just as well as the more expensive ones. These types of toothbrushes will very effectively remove plaque and food stuck to your teeth. When filling a cavity costs hundreds, and a root canal thousands, a toothbrush for $40 that prevents both of these is a good investment.

Rinsing with a mouthwash like Listerine that reduces bacteria is also good.

Closed Thread