It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Kind Of At The End Of My Rope With This

Hi All,

I hope someone can help. I am VERY frustrated and don't know what to do.

Over the past few years I have had several teeth crowned due to old silver fillings that were loose as well as decay around them. All of these teeth have become extremely sensitive and will eventually need root canals.

One tooth that had a root canal failed, which led to a fixed bridge (which I fortunately didn't permanently cement bec I KNEW they were going to be sensitive and need root canals).

I take a very long time to heal from these root canals, though no one knows why. The endodontist I use says there are people like me and it just takes a long time for everything to heal and settle down.

This most recent root canal under the bridge is giving me problems. When I had the anesthetic injections, one of them sent me to the moon. She suspects she hit a nerve bundle. Sure enough, the tooth does not bother me at all, but to touch anything along the jaw is horrible -- it's like getting a jolt, or being drilled without novacaine.

Further complicating things is that I am allergic to many antibiotics. After the root canal, I was on steroids and Floxin. Now, she sent me to an oral/maxillofacial surgeon, who took a CT scan. He wants to treat it as an infection first. If that doesn't work, then he will treat it as a nerve problem. I am currently on Avelox, Flagyl and a prescription anti-inflammatory, but I can't say much is changing. The 2nd part of the root canal is to be done a week from tomorrow, but I feel that won't be possible.

I am VERY frustrated and depressed. I have done everything everyone has asked me to do, and yet, I am still in pain...not to mention broke. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I desperately need a glimmer of hope.

Thanks so much,
Inq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

Hulitoons HB User
Re: Kind Of At The End Of My Rope With This

You sound like me. I won't go into a lengthy story but I'd had a lot of procedures applied to three teeth that were side by side including repeated fillings, cracking, abcessing over and over, then extractions by an oral surgeon over a period of time. Then I developed what you are describing. Just touching the gum where the trauma had occurred would cause sudden and intense pain. So, my dentist sent me back to the oral surgeon who had to cut my gum open front to back and remove a benign tumor that apparently developed perhaps because of the ongoing trauma! It wasn't recognized as this though (even in x-rays) until the bone had been scraped and sent to the lab.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

suzyisdizzy HB User

Sorry you are going through this. I too have had a terrible time with my teeth. I have decided that I'm not going to monkey around with them anymore and I begun extracting teeth. My four bottom molars and my four top molars are gone, and frankly I don't miss them one bit. Eating isn't that difficult, I learned to adjust. Then 4 months ago one of my smaller teeth gave out on me (hurt really badly) and I had it extracted and just this last week I had a dental implant put in. So far so good. My plan is to get a couple of implants and in time I might attach a denture to them.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Thank you both for your replies.

I am still waiting for the 2nd part of my root canal to be finished. She wouldn't do it because I was still a little swollen and that nerve pain is still an issue. I'm so tired of all this. meanwhile, I have another root canal that needs to be done, but she is reluctant to do anything to me now, which I understand, but I just hope that tooth doesn't get worse.

Hulitoons -- Are you better now or do you still have that pain? Sorry you had to go through that.

SuzyisDizzy -- That's something I hadn't thought of, to do part implant and part denture. I hope it won't come to that for me, but you never know. I, too, am really thinking about pulling these teeth instead of root canaling them. For sure it would be cheaper! I don't know if I could adjust to eating like that though. When I had #19 pulled I had a very hard time eating...felt strange. But it's definitely something to think about. I'm just scared to the reaction my body might have to an implant since I'm all about inflammation.

Anyway, the 2nd part of my root canal is now scheduled for March 13th. I have no idea what's going to happen. I just need everything stabilized before April because my mother is having surgery.

Thanks again for your replies -- I really appreciate it!

Be well,
Inq

Closed Thread