It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
(male)

Gipof HB User
Gum Pockets!

Just went to my dentist yesterday and got the bad news. Pockets are forming up in the gums around one of my teeth which went through filling and tooth bonding procedures multiple times. They were just cleaned through scaling and I am prescribed a mouthwash but after reading about the condition on internet I am a bit worried as this may eventually result in loosing my tooth.

There is a gap between the affected molar and the one adjacent to it. Do you think a cap would help me with the condition.

Also, this is the only side I use to eat since I was a kid so do you think that would affect me now that I have these pockets?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Gum Pockets!

Hi,
The important thing to remember about dental pockets is that unless you keep the area clean the pockets will get deeper. The deeper the pocket, the more problems the tooth can have. Flossing is the best way to remove plaque that gets down into the pocket along the tooth surface. Be sure you floss once daily and brush twice daily for two minutes each time. As long as you keep them clean and go for periodic professional cleanings, the pockets should not increase in depth.

Gum will not reattach unless there is bone beneath it so a cap will not help what they call a "black triangle" from gum recession.

Your best bet is keeping it clean (again, floss once daily) and going for cleaning as prescribed by your dentist.

GOOD LUCK.
My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
(male)

Gipof HB User

Lets assume the bone is still intact, as the condition just showed up very recently. Should I go for a cap then?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,
Gum won't attach to a cap, either. So it wouldn't help the pocket formation. When there is a pocket, it's because there is no bone below it. A cap won't help reattach the gum because it is porcelain. Once the pocket has formed you can only keep it clean. Most of the time the gumline will recede a bit to meet the area of bone. Any place that doesn't, is a pocket.

A cap (or crown) may make the area more esthetically appealing but there will still be a pocket. Once the pocket forms that indicates the bone has dissolved in that area. Tooth roots are very long in most cases and pockets of 3 -5 or less can be cleaned effectively at home if you take very good care of your teeth (twice daily brushing and flossing daily is MOST important) and go for periodic professional cleanings. The only way to reduce a pocket is to remove the plaque from the tooth and allow the gum to recede to the bone depth. Then it's a matter of keeping the area clean.

Ask your dentist if a cap would be more effective in doing this. It will help esthetically with a "black triangle".

Hope this helps.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
(male)

Gipof HB User

I just had a cleaning of the area, thou the gap area between the two teeth hurt like hell when I am chewing something. Something to do with the scrapper that was used or this is something else. Is there any chance the pain will disappear, its already been 2-3 days.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
If they did a deep cleaning (root planing and scaling) the irritation can last for several days. Keeping the area clean will go a long way to it healing faster. Salt water rinses (1/4tsp to 8oz warm water) can help greatly also.

Once a black triangle has formed there is nothing short of surgical gum replacement that can fix it. The gum has receded past the "waist" of the tooth and the space there is permanent. A crown may make it look more esthetically appealing but the only permanent solution would be gum replacement. Even then, without bone below it, the gum won't attach.

Be sure you are flossing between the teeth and keeping that area clean. When the gum recedes it exposes the tooth dentin, sort of a deeper yellow color as you go to the base of the tooth. The dentin contains small tubules that can allow painful sensations to reach the nerve (hot, cold, sweet etc.). Using toothpaste for sensitive teeth can greatly help this as it contains ingredients to plug the tubules up. It does take a few weeks to work though. I would recommend you start using this as it sounds as though there is recession there.

Hope this helps!
GOOD LUCK and let us know how you are doing.
My best to you,
Gellia

The following user gives a hug of support to Gellia:
Gipof (02-21-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
Gipof (02-21-2012)
Closed Thread