It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

emptreg HB User
Crown for molar

I recently started going to a new dentist due to insurance reasons. The problem was with sensitivity with one of my upper molars. A piece had broke off of a previous filling and they felt a crown was needed.

During the prep for the crown however they became concerned that the problem was to deep and recommended me to a Endodontist for a root canal. This is being done this week. I will then go back to my dentist for a crown.

The question I have has to do with the crown itself. My dentist would prefer I get a gold crown. I really don't want a gold crown. Not only do I hate gold to begin with I would feel really weird having that in my mouth.

Several years ago one of my lower molars broke slightly and the dentist I was seeing at the time placed a crown on that tooth. He never suggested a gold crown. In fact he never even mentioned there were more that one type. He just had the crown made (unlike my current dentist he had the ability to make crowns right at the office).

That crown has held up but its not really on the side I chew on the most (unlike the upper molar I'm currently having fixed).

I guess I'm just wondering if there will be a problem not going with gold. It's not really a cosmetic issue because you can't really see this tooth. I just really (really, really) do not want gold, I would rather have the tooth pulled then have a gold crown put on. But I don't like the idea of constantly having to replace crowns. Are there any options that hold up as well? Are there other metal crowns available besides gold?

Thanks,
ept

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Crown for molar

Hi,
Is it possible that your dentist is referring to a high noble metal crown? That is usually a gold base with porcelain over the top. Most crowns are made this way. The other metal used is a nickel content (low noble) and many times people have a sensitivity to the nickel. A high noble content metal is usually used and that would be gold.

You may want to clarify what your dentist means. All gold is more natural to the mouth and has less of an impact on your other teeth, especially the ones in opposition to the crowned tooth. It is malleable and conforms better, helping to protect your natural teeth from chips that can happen with porcelain crowns. That said, you need to speak to your dentist and find out exactly what he means. It may be he just means a porcelain crown with a high noble interior.

Hope this helps.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

You might ask your dentist about zirconia crowns. These are made of a ceramic material and are very strong.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

emptreg HB User

Has anybody had zirconia crowns on a molar. I'm looking them up (and the Alumina ones) but it looks like they are prone to breaking as well.

But it doesn't look like something he may offer. Not sure about the porcelain over metal either - he just kept saying porcelain or gold.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
Do have him clarify this for you. Zirconium crowns are wonderful but most times are left for front teeth. Like riptoff said, they are very strong but have a nasty habit of chipping natural opposing teeth. You sure don't want your opposition molars breaking or chipping from your crown.

Your dentist should be able to clarify this for you. Get a FULL explanation of exactly what he is proposing. Are you a clencher or tooth grinder? There are many styles of crowns from full gold to zirconium. Full gold could be the recommendation if you grind and clench your teeth.

Crowns that are porcelain fused to metal are the most common and the metal is normally a gold composition from high noble (mostly gold) to low noble (nickle mixed with gold). Naturally, the more gold used, the higher the costs as the price of gold is high, higher and highest now.

You do deserve an explanation as to why your dentist is making the crown recommendation he is. I'd be sure to get it to my satisfaction.

GOOD LUCK!
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
(female)

emptreg HB User

Just got off the phone with the dentist office. Their crowns are all metal or PFM crowns (and I think she said High Noble). So the gold he kept mentioning was an all gold tooth.

They said that the porcelain sometimes break and sometimes they don't and that all lot of people feel the same way - so that makes me feel a little better. I don't think I grind my teeth but I can sometimes clench my jaw during the day. If this doesn't work I'll just have it pulled. Honestly, I would rather have no tooth then a gold tooth.

Now if I can just get over my nerves for the root canal.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,
Well, they are right in one respect. Porcelain fused to metal crowns can chip, but then again, they may not. My DH has had 8 molar crowns made from porcelain fused to high noble (gold)for 10 years and eats whatever he wants including hard pretzels. There has never been a problem with chipping of the crown or opposing natural teeth.

It is true that an all gold crown will protect the opposing tooth from chipping better but if you are not happy with the esthetics of an all gold tooth, get the PFM.

In my opinion, I would get the PFM crown. It would be better than no tooth, or an all gold crown with which you were not happy. That's what I would do.

GOOD LUCK!
Best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread