It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

maryann1156 HB User
Red face Dental Implant canine tooth (#11)

I had a dental implant placed on tooth #11 in Aug 2011 with the final restoration completed end of Nov 2011.
It feels like the implant tooth is too big/bulky - feels like it is compressing the gum, as if something is stuck in there and needs to be flossed out. I constantly floss around the tooth and its kind of a 'hurts so good' feeling when i press against the surrounding gum.
Dentist tried to resurface the restoration and had 2 rounds of antiobiotics, but nothing changes. Since its a canine tooth, I am constantly hitting it with my tongue when I speak and it increases the awareness that the tooth doesnt feel right. It doesnt feel like a regular tooth at all. Its as if something was crammed in and it doesnt belong there. There is also a constant low grade pain in the area.
Xrays and CT scan show nothing abnormal.

I did have bone grafting done after the extraction so I am not sure exactly what is causing this. Is the graft, the implant, the restoration or a combination of any/all?

Is my only option to remove the restoration and implant and start over? (definitely not something I look forward to doing). Perhaps the implant itself is malpositioned. It does seem like the tooth sits a bit farther front than it should.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Dental Implant canine tooth (#11)

I haven't experienced this, but my advice is to get a pair of new eyes on that implant and go for a second opinion. Something definitely doesn't sound right.

Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I'm with slenderella. I'd get someone else to evaluate the implant. I have four on the front top and I do know the crowns were MUCH thicker than my natural teeth. I still lisp when I get tired ,as my tongue will get "hung up" on them. I also had a bit of soreness that lasted for sometime around one but flossing healed it in a week or so.

Yours doesn't sound normal. Perhaps the crown doesn't fit well enough around your gum and you can't floss close enough and it stays irritated. Also, is there any possibility that the cement used for the crown is around the gumline and irritating it?

Like slenderella said, perhaps a new set of eyes would help.

I hope you can find out the problem soon.

GOOD LUCK.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
(female)

maryann1156 HB User

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to make an appointment for a second opinion.

I really do think there is something wrong with how the crown is sitting in relation to my gum - either the restoration needs redone, or the implant post is malpositioned causing the restoration to be bad, by default.

I will repost after getting that 2nd opinion. Right now I would love (but dread) to redo the entire thing from the very beginning.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
It may just be the crown does not sit well. Maybe a new crown and abutment would work. One that fits your gumline better. I have on implant that the gumline in the back isn't flush with the crown and it can get irritated if I don't floss really well there every night.

I have often felt if it only fit tighter I wouldn't have as much of a problem but all in all they say it's fine. Yours may just not be able to be kept clean so it's always irritated.

I'm so glad you are going for another opinion. I hope this is an easy "fix".

My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
(female)

maryann1156 HB User

I saw a periodontist/prothosdontist who specializes in implants.

He feels the crown is not properly seated AND the abutment is too large causing the 'too tight' feeling that I have, along with the gum soreness all around the implant and adjacent tooth. He said the implant itself looks ok. He definitely does not feel flap surgery should be done, which was recommended by my dentist.

His recommendation is to remove the crown and abutment and replace. He feels my denist should do this. My dentist does not agree with this recommendation.

I guess my options are -
Insist my current dentist remove the crown and abutment and replace
or, have it done somewhere else and find a new general dentist.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, neither is an easy fix for you! Geez,...Talk about a rock and a hard place. I'm so sorry. On one hand, your dentist is trying to get your gum to fit the implant crown surgically, and on the other, the recommendation is a whole new abutment and crown. Neither is cheap and the one certainly not pain free.

Would the periodontist put his recommendation in writing? The other thing, was the abutment given to you by your implant dentist? Or by the dentist that made the crown? When I had mine done the abutments were given to me when I got my healing caps by the OS that did my implants. They were fitted before I left the office for proper fit. Where did the abutments come from?
I ask that because of the "too large" abutment diagnosis. It sounds as though the wrong abutment size was placed and the crown made to fit around it, cascading into a problem for you.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do. I see a real problem with your dentist resisting helping you if he disagrees, unless you can get that recommendation in writing. That may help persuade him to make things right without resorting to painful surgery for you.

GOOD LUCK! I hope you can get this resolved. Sending you good vibes! (((((())))))
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
(female)

maryann1156 HB User

Latest update - My dentist (the one who set the final crown) has referred me to his choice of periodontist for another opinion. He really thinks there is nothing wrong and wants a conferring opinion.

So, today I saw the periodontist and he says the implant has failed! He can detect slight movement and, based on my description of my pain, he said it definitely needs to be redone. He showed me exactly on the x-ray where he can see the implant is malpositioned (it is too close to adjacent tooth #12) and there is a gap between the tissue and the bone between #10 and #11 which is very sore/tender. He said I could wait it out, and that the soreness may subside, but the implant will likely just get worse and cause additional problems. He also said the type of implant that was used is rather outdated. He has to search to find the proper tool for removal since he hasnt used this type in a number of years. (I just had the implant placed in August 2011!)

Well, at least I know I am not crazy! I knew there was something really wrong.

So, I guess its back to square one.. not something I relish, but if it makes me feel better, its what I have to do!

Thanks so much for your reponses, and well wishes.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
I'm so glad you found out! Even if it's not the easiest answer, at least now you know the problem and can go about solving it.

GOOD LUCK.
Let us know how you do.

My VERY best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread