It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
(male)

Gipof HB User
Should I stop using this mouthwash?

Chlorhexidine Gluconate: 0.12%
Sodium Fluoride: 0.05%
No Alcohol

I m using this mouthwash and used it around 12 times ( 10ml rinses each ) and now I lost taste in my mouth and noticed little black stains on my teeth. After doing some research I found that this can be directly related to the mouthwash. Now I need to keep my teeth "seriously" clean due to pockets in my gums. Also I found that such mouthwashes have a residual effect and I should stop using it for 3 months after using it for 2 weeks.

Can someone confirm this to me? Remember, I have to keep my mouth ultra clean as I already have gum pockets!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Should I stop using this mouthwash?

my dentist told me that that mouthwash can stain.....she said it doesn't stain the teeth, but it stains the plaque, so that means you should floss real good and get the plaque off before using the mouthwash. Another idea for keeping your gums and pockets really clean......try a water pic, they are really good

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
(male)

Gipof HB User

And use the mouthwash with the given ingredients on a daily basis, twice?

Just looking for suggestions.

Last edited by Gipof; 02-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
Best thing you can do for pockets is brush twice a day for two minutes each time and floss once daily. The suggestion of using a water pik is also a super one. This will keep plaque from forming into calculus which happens in about 12 hours. Brushing twice daily for two minutes will remove any plaque and keep it from becoming calculus. When plaque stains from the mouthwash you are using, it's already starting to harden.

I understand about pockets as I fight them myself, but the best thing I have found is to be sure to floss daily and floss correctly. Also be sure to see your dentist or periodontist in their prescribed schedule. Pockets can be managed very nicely that way.

Hope this helps.
GOOD LUCK.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
(male)

Gipof HB User

I looked into waterpik but they don't have any distributors in my location so guess that cuts an option. I am just concerned that without using the mouthwash bacteria will come back like it did before.

Secondly, there is a gap between the decaying molar and the adjacent one so brush can't reach there ( I don't like directing it horizontally as it may hurt my gums ) so no paste is actually applied there if I just try to reach there with my floss. Plus, I was told by my dentist that any tooth bonding attempts to reduce the little gap between the two molars will be useless as there is no molar after the molar that is adjacent to the decaying molar tooth ( decayed molar is the upper right second one ). Any opinions on that?

Last edited by Gipof; 02-24-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
You can find water piks on the internet. That's how I got mine. As for cleaning between your teeth, if you don't feel floss works well enough for you, you can also get intradental brushes. They are also available right on the internet. You can actually use them to brush between your teeth and they come in all sizes for the very tightest teeth to those with triangles. There are many things available for dental cleaning that anyone can get.

The black triangles that form between teeth are from a lack of bone. Without the bone, the gumline will recede forming the black triangle. You can't do anything about them. The bone has dissolved causing the gum to recede to the bone line. Bonding would not adhere to the surface and could actually cause more damage than not by leaving room for decay to start.

Again, brushing twice daily for two minutes each time, using floss daily and correctly, and for you, water pik and intradental brushes would work fine. You can't fix bone that is already lost, but you can stop it from getting worse. This will also help to keep your teeth from staining as much with that mouthwash but many times a professional cleaning is what it will take to remove it. You should be getting regular cleanings by your dental professional every three to six months depending on what you are advised.

Doing any more than that is overkill and can actually injure your gums making them recede more and forming more black triangles. I urge you to form a gentle routine of dental care that includes brushing, flossing, intradental brushing and a water pik.
That, and seeing your dental professional is the best you can do for good dental care.
Bacteria is always present in the mouth. You can't get rid of it ever. It's there for a reason. What you can do is prevent plaque from forming and creating the environment for decay. Remove the plaque before it turns to calculus and you do a great deal for yourself in thwarting off future problems.

GOOD LUCK.
Best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
(male)

Gipof HB User

If I leave the gap between the two molars, won't food keep hurting the gums? By the way just got my sensodyne, maybe that'll ease the pain.

Last edited by Gipof; 02-26-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
There's not much you can do about the gaps. Keeping it clean by brushing and flossing (MOST important!) is about the best you can do. I also have a number of black triangles from bone loss, and flossing has been the single most important thing I have done to keep from getting gum irritation and pain. If you floss daily, the plaque won't adhere enough to cause irritation.

GOOD LUCK. If you consistently do the two minute brushings twice daily, floss at least once daily and use an intradental brush, you shouldn't have any problems. The problems start when the regiment fails. That is up to you.

My best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread