It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: severe depression at 22 because of my teeth. anybody?

Hi again,
Your anxiety is certainly up there. Dental work can get your brain going. Thing is, that's probably all it is. YOU are making yourself miserable with the "what ifs".

You really need to make an mental adjustment. The main problem with this much anxiety is it's usually from a lack of trust. You MUST trust your dentist. You can say you do, but deep down you think he is lying to you and your teeth will just all fall out.
This is mainly because YOU can't control what is going on.

I say,...why?? Why wouldn't a dentist tell you? Believe me, they will. If your dentist is going ahead with this crown he feels it is the proper treatment. Your anxiety comes from trying to second guess him in order to have some control over the situation you are in. As you can tell, that kind of control doesn't work.

The key is to learn to take control of ALL phases of your life and learn to trust the people that are there to help when there is a problem. You ARE controlling it. You are DOING something about it. You went to a professional with the right credentials and experience. Your dentist is bringing you back to good dental health. Let him do his job and rather than concentrating on what might be, concentrate on how you are going to keep your mouth in good shape after he is finished. Now THAT is controlling a situation. You go to the pro to help and then you take control after they are finished.

Anxiety can ruin a perfectly good life. Getting help on learning how to control it is good thing. If you can get some help from a professional to ease your mind, I say go for it!
There is nothing wrong with learning something that will have a positive affect on your life. Techniques in learning how to control unmanageable anxiety will work for you for the rest of your life. I'd say that is a good thing for anyone.

In the meantime, take a deep breath and say to yourself,..."I DO trust my dentist that he is doing what I need done to make my mouth fine again. And, it will happen." Then go to the mirror and smile at yourself. You have a brilliant smile. USE IT. Remember....go through the motions...the Emotion will follow.

Putting on a brave face will eventually give way to a brave heart. Don't let anxiety rule your life. Rather look at it at as a way to keep you motivated to do what has to be done. Write down any questions you have for your dentist so he can tell you you'll be fine with each answer. Remember, he has seen this all before. Your dental problems are "old hat" to him and I'm sure he has confidence that all can be restored or he wouldn't attempt it. TRUST HIM that he will do the job and when you are finished you will be fine. It's easy to convince oneself that they will be different and everything bad will happen, but seriously, I see none of the same concern that you do. Your photos do not bear out any facts to support your anxiety.

I'm not going to tell you not to worry because that would be stupid of me. You're going to do it anyway, but remember, there is a light at the end of this dental tunnel and all of this, too, shall pass. In another month you really are going to wonder what all the hullabaloo was about. Focus on that and remind yourself that you do trust.

You can't control what is going on around you, but you CAN control yourself.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. And, do smile that super smile you have already.

My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
(male)

tryingtofindpeace HB User

So after a night of nightmares followed by no sleep. it involved me recieving dentures when i graduated college (a year and a half -_-)

i decided to just show up to the dentist when they opened at 9 am. he checked my mouth out and said the other teeth i still have remaining from the xrays look fine and when he checked my mouth out said they looked ok. he used words like fine and ok not great or really good :/ didnt give me much hope as well because i asked about any treatments or anything like that to protect my molars and he said why fix something if it hasnt broken yet.

on to the root canal on the right side of my mouth next to the tooth that got extracted in january, it was a possibility i need a apo i guess the dental surgeon who pulled my wisdoms said he didnt have an xray to compare it to. well i got an older xray from my dentist that showed nothing on his. so i was telling him i was freaking out. the lady on the phone at the oral surgeon said if theres no pain or anything it should be fine.

onto the one on the left. i told my dentist about the weird feeling on the root canal tooth i was having on the left(possibly all in my head but i dont think it is). not pain but sometimes a slight pressure or sensitivity to cold water. he said to wait 3 or so weeks til after my wisdom teeth heel to see how it feels before i go for a crown because it would be a waste if it had to get pulled. he thinks there may be a hairline fracture but said he could cap it if its not in pain because it wouldnt be a bad fracture (theres no crack in the xray but read online it is still possible to have one). the lady on the phone at the oral surgeon said it could be just feeling a little sore because its the 2nd tooth away from where my wisdom tooth on the top was pulled.

well im sitting in my room and kind of feel relieved yet at the same time dont? i got somewhat good new on my teeth i still have but no promise of the future. and no guarantee on the 2 root canals i still have in my mouth.
i never got an answer to why my mouth was feeling dry or weird taste(maybe its in my head) but he said my wisdom teeth extraction area looked like it was healing good.

i feel like im still at square one, like i was getting pulled in two different directions and i need more time for the root canals. and dont know what the future brings for what teeth are still alive. theres a possibility to get infections still in these teeth with the root canals? thats a scary thought for sure as well

i could understand if i needed dentures when i got old but i wouldnt be able to deal with the stress if it came to that if i cant bare it right now

Last edited by tryingtofindpeace; 02-27-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Again, you are trying to control a situation, and not "hearing" what was said. You are using your imagination without fact. Look at the facts. The dentist basically said everything looked good and was moving along. Dry mouth can come from mouth breathing at night and esp after a tooth removal.

Please try and learn to trust your dentist. Worrying about your teeth falling out in the future is senseless. We do not know the future. Worry about getting hit by a comet instead. It's more plausible.

Your dentist is working on your teeth. All you need to do is trust him and work on your anxiety and need to control this. You can't. Get the work done. Once it's finished you really will forget about it. All of this will pass. Learn to deal with your anxiety about this and it will help with all problems in the future because surely we all have them.
It's a part of life, learning to deal with things as they come up. If you really don't feel you can get a handle on this, I urge you to take advantage of your Mother's suggestion and get some help dealing with your anxiety. You're only 22! To continue your life worrying about things not under your control will only make you miserable. Some techniques in learning to control it would be useful.

GOOD LUCK.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
(male)

your right. i am trying to take control of it. i keep thinking of the worst case scenario. mainly because i guess i have had a total of 7 teeth pulled already. and with a chance of 2 more needing to go i keep thinking i will only have 23 of my original teeth left. if these ones hold up 25. the thought is in my head that one by one the rest will go -_- im still scared because upper and lower left only have 2 molars left on top and 2 on bottom. versus 5 the right side is 3 versus 5 and 2 wating for a implant or bridge for 3 on that side. if i lose any more will i need one of those dentures with the wire? i would be ashamed of myself to take that thing in an out at night.

i think the molars that ended up getting pulled from when i needed braces i think one or 2 had fillings so its good they kept the healthy ones back when i was 16. the fact is i feel as if its too late to start taking care of what i have left.
i went out and bought a waterpik, a gigantic thing of floss, sensodyne pronamel toothpaste and the colgate phos flur or w/e it is fluoiride rinse. i guess im ocd about saving what enamel i have left to prevent what may have happened to the others. nervous i dont have much left which is why i wanted to see if there was any treatments. i also bought a mens daily multivitamin that has 100% vitamin d and vitaminc c. 20% daily calcium

am i too late to start? before i brushed 2 times a day for the most part with whatever tooth paste my mom bought and rinsed occasionally with listerine. for the most part and flossed when i could.

am i too late? whats your opinion and thank you gellia especially for helping me out here through this tough time. it sucks looking at my brother who hasnt gone to the dentist in like 5 years atleast and i have yet to see him complain about pain, no teeth pulled he does not floss and only brushes once a day

Last edited by tryingtofindpeace; 02-27-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, only brushing once a day may catch up with your brother. Don't envy him yet. He may regret that decision.

Having the number of teeth you've had removed isn't really that bad when you've had braces. When my son got them....he had to have 11 teeth out. Your situation isn't really bad. It's just because it's you that is going through it. I did feel the same way when I had my four front teeth (MY personal worst nightmare!) out so I can tell you,...yes, this too WILL pass.

You're on your way to good dental health. Now you can keep it that way. Take care of your teeth and they will take care of you. Don't envy someone else because they may eventually have problems far worse than yours. You know,...the old "Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it."

Honestly, you are doing it all right. Dental work takes one step at a time. And, unfortunately, sometimes it takes alot of steps. But, you will get finished and your life will go on. Please try and take hold of your anxiety, though. You can't let your emotions control your thoughts and your thoughts get away from you. You can control this. Rather than going online to find out all the awful "what ifs" find out some techniques to help you regain control of your anxiety. You simply can't let it control your life!

So, for now on, when the anxiety creeps in, think to yourself, "I trust that my dentist is telling me the truth and I will be OK". Say it over and over..."I WILL BE OK!"
And say it until you believe it because it is true. You will be OK.

Take your life one step at a time, too. Don't obsess about the future, it's not here yet so you can't do anything about it, and don't dwell on the past, as you can't change it.

Hang in there! Remember you will be fine. You have an excellent professional handling your case. Trust him and the judgement that you showed by going to him and taking care of yourself.

GOOD LUCK!
Gellia

Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
(male)

how is your son managing. were they baby teeth or adult teeth and what did he have done after?

im trying to deal. i am letting it get to the point where its interfering with my relationship with my gf whom i love so much. and she loves me. i am lucky.

i guess i would just feel alot better if these last 2 root canal teeth stay infection free, and im able to keep them and cap them. on top of not losing any more teeth til im older. i just want to not worry about things like this until im older. its something i shouldnt have to deal with until im a grandfather. i wish sometimes life was easier. i have been through alot of stress and anxiety for a long time.

edit: im going to see the doctor where my mother works. she wants me to talk to him because even her talking to me, i am convinced the root canals waiting for caps are going to get yanked. which would leave me with a pretty messed up mouth. 1 molar on the upper left. 2 lower left/ three upper right and 2 lower right. there i am thinking of the worst case scenario because me having to wait 3 weeks now and this weird feeling on the tooth im convinced theres a non visible hairline fracture. thank you google

Last edited by tryingtofindpeace; 02-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
I really think it's a good idea that you talk to someone. Sometimes that's what it takes to learn to deal with overwhelming anxiety. It's a good thing that you are doing this for yourself! Kudos to you for recognizing it and taking action.

It can be hard projecting into the future. You can't DO anything about it except worry and that simply will not change a thing. Dealing with the worry is a different story. You CAN learn techniques that will make it easier. I'm really glad you are doing that. I'm sure you will be successful, too.

My son has had a total of 11 permanent teeth removed for braces. He started the dental journey when he was about 9. His teeth look gorgeous now but it has been a long battle. He had to wear braces for a long, long time and have surgical work on his jaw to realign it. He's all grown up (39) now and has a brilliant smile. Thanks for asking.

You are 22y/o. You are an adult now. Things happen in life. I do think it's a great idea that you learn some techniques to use to ratchet down your anxiety and that that will help with the rest of your life as you go through it. To go through life with that much anxiety is making a wonderful life unhappy. You are a smart and brave man. It takes guts to acknowledge a problem and DO something about it. Congratulations!

Sit down for a minute and think about the people you trust. Your parents, perhaps. Your girlfriend. Do you think they would lie to you? Work on your trust issues and alot of the anxiety you have will melt away. When you can trust your medical professional that they are doing the best possible job for you, you will be able to relax more knowing that you are in good honest hands.

GOOD LUCK. And, do let us know how you are doing. Your dental health will be fine and this will pass. Working on your anxiety will make your entire life richer.

My very best to you,
Gellia

Last edited by Administrator; 12-28-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
(male)

got to the doctors office my mother works at today and spoke to the doctor so my mom would feel better. helped a little bit got small prescription of xanax if i need to use it.

she also scheduled for me to talk to the dentist office next door. sat and told the dentist everything and he looked at my teeth and said they look fine. the root canal on the bottom right looked good he recommended to get the crowns on them since the root canals were done a while ago. just couldn't afford or get my self out of the slump i was in to go anywhere. no xrays but looked at the other root canal the one im worried about and told me it looked fine. i told him about the weird feelings i have and he said it sounds normal. not painful but almost like a random nag feeling that scares me and he said it looks ok.
i am relieved and thursday am hopefully getting the one im scared about crowned. im still just nervous that there is a fracture, it will get crowned i will start having pain and it will have to get pulled. which would leave me with one molar on the upper left. hopefully this feeling goes away once its done crowned. feeling better but still scared about the tooth. wish it got another xray.slight throb from tooth area just sitting here. not from biting down though maybe they should just rip it out that way i need 2 implants and a lot more money to spend..

Last edited by tryingtofindpeace; 02-28-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI,
I'm so glad you saw the dr. and I'm even happier that you saw another dentist. Now tow dentists have told you the same thing. TRUST them. I've had implants for 5 years and still get weird feelings.

If your mind starts to get away from you, take the xanax. That's what it is there for. It will help you stay more focused in the reality of the situation, rather than the "what ifs" and you can think a bit clearer.

I think you're a brave man and I applaud what you have done for yourself. Now, try to relax and enjoy yourself.

My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
(male)

im about to take one now because i started thinking about the tooth and remembered gum disease. nervous about my own. i dont want to search online but do these look close to normal. they look bad to me another stessor. i feel so ashamed. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...mentaspx-2.jpg

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Take the xanax. Your teeth look fine. Honest. Your gums look like someone that has been stressing about their teeth and checking them all the time. Don't pull your lip like that anymore.

Relax. You are really fine. And, for Heaven's sake, I sure hope you smile cause your teeth are beautiful. Stop obsessing over them. Everything looks healthy!

Good luck but I don't think you're going to need it.
Gellia

Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
(male)

alright. i took it and feel relaxed and had a talk with my parents. they too are trying to cheer me up. i told them i wish i was going through this when i was like 40 years old. im only 22, i wish i was complaining about my wisdom teeth needing to get removed like everyother kid. instead i have to cry and pray before sleep to hopefully be able to keep what i have left til im atleast 40. am i too late to start my ocd teeth care vs what i was told to do, brush twice a day and floss. that negative outlook is just so hard to overcome thinking about how will i eat if i loose any more teeth. hopefully 7 is where i stop. maybe i should get the root canal pulled. feels funny and throbby now that i think of it. maybe an infection brewing? felt like i had on there before but nothing showed on xray before the wisdom teeth were pulled. still scared its gotta go. maybe the crown will make it worse, then i think of decay underneath a crown.

i hate the way im thinking

partial dentures? thinking about how whatever enamel i have left will last me these years. i know im being selfish but i dont know how i could deal being in my 20s and taking partial dentures out before going to bed next to my girlfriend if i need them.

im ranting but its the only place i can express everything on my mind.

wish i could go back and fix wherever i went wrong.

Last edited by tryingtofindpeace; 02-28-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
I'm glad you're relaxing some.

It is never too late to start a good home oral hygiene program, but an OCD one, no, that is not healthy at all. Overkill on cleaning your teeth can be as bad as not cleaning them at all. I URGE you to follow just a twice daily brushing for two minutes each time. Hold the toothbrush like you would a pencil for proper pressure. Otherwise you can actually scrub enamel off of your teeth and do more damage. Then, in the evening before you go to bed, brush and floss those pearly whites. THAT is ALL you need to do. Anything more than that is overkill and can irritate your gums, which is why they look red in the photo.

What you need to do is get your teeth crowned and move on. Just do the twice a day brushing, and flossing. Go to see your dentist twice a year for a professional cleaning and you shouldn't have any problems. And, remember, your teeth are living things and can give you a variety of sensations in the mouth. That's normal.

Somewhere along the line you have come up with the idea that your teeth are in horrible shape and unrepairable. Your thinking is WRONG! You need to change your thoughts about it. You are getting restoration that will have your mouth in excellent shape. Then it will be up to you to keep it that way and with the twice a day brushing, you can. Get it out of your head that your teeth are going to fall out. Why would your dentist even attempt at restoration if he thought that? Again, it sounds as though you are having a trust issue.

Deal with the general anxiety you are having and focusing on your teeth. Focus on something else cause you're soon going to have to find something else anyway. Your teeth will be finished their restoration soon and you will have to move on. If you can't, go back and speak to the dr that gave you the xanax for some relaxation techniques and discussion of your lack of trust causing generalized anxiety .

Surely you must know yourself that your anxiety is out of proportion to what you are having done. Having wisdom teeth removed by age 22 is normal. Having a few extractions and root canals is not so out of the ordinary either. In the scheme of things, it's just really not alot of work being done on a 22 y/o except, of course, that work is being done on you. Of course you feel anxious. But, feeling SO anxious over getting done what really isn't a dental "big deal" is more than just being dental phobic. You are just focusing your anxiety on your teeth. When they are done, what then?

I urge you to deal with the general anxiety you have. It really is out of proportion for the work being done. Your teeth look fine. You have to ask yourself what it's going to take for YOU to believe that.

No one can do this for you. You have to get hold of yourself all on your own. If the anxiety persists, get back to the dr for help. Your happiness, and of those around you and care for you, depends on it.

GOOD LUCK.
My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #29
(male)

the xanax is helping i took another this morning. snowing here so i decided not to drive the 50 minutes to class for a 50 minute class then drive 50 plus home on bad roads. i can relax home for the day. tv to keep my mind off the problem. just ate breakfast and had a little constant throb for 20 seconds in that tooth, scared me a little but its gone. maybe if there is a slight crack this crown will hold it together. hopefully no infection and praying hopefully the good word tomorrow is it will be fine. guess thats all that is bugging me this morning. the one tooth because i need 2 molars to eat on that side. the dentist told me its normal to only have two molars on each side so im still crossing my fingers to keep that 2nd one there.

Last edited by tryingtofindpeace; 02-29-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like everything will be fine. Everything you describe is sounds pretty normal to me. Get your crowns and enjoy them. By next week you're going to wonder why you were so upset!

GOOD LUCK.
Best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread