It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

asmith1886 HB User
Need postive stories about use of Triazalom. Getting 14 teeth removed. dental PHOBIA

I am 25 and have lacked dental care for so long my top and bottom upper teeth can no longer be saved along with some back ones. I am getting 14 teeth extracted (8 of those of surgical b/c teeth are broken at gumline) as well as some cavities filled and a full mouth debridement b/c of mouth is in such bad shape. I will be getting top and bottom partials placed the same day the teeth are extracted. I've already gotten the impressions made for the partials and picked up my sedation meds which consist of a 5 mg Valium and a .25 Triazalom. The dentist said he would give me another one upon getting to his office. More if I require it.I explained my huge dental fear and he is so understanding and says he has authorization though some organization to do tiered dosing, which is where he can continue to dose me throughout the procedure if I'm not sedated enough. I just am so scared of the dentist I don't think it's going to work, no matter how many pills he gives me! I feel pain at the dentist when I've just used LA in the past. Not pressure... actual hits you to the bone, hot searing. pain. I told him this and he is very confident the medication will work. He says he's made 300 pound men fall asleep in the chair from these meds so I shoden't be a problem (90 pound female). I'm just ungodly afraid. He says some people do fall asleep and that would be wonderful but I just don't see it happened. I'm graduating from Medical Assisting school in June and need pretty teeth for when I go apply to jobs.. not to mention this will do wonders for my self-esteem! I just want to cancel.. I'm that scared! My husband of course won't let that happen as he's got my best interest at heart. I wanted to do IV sedation but I can't afford it as only oral surgeons do that around here and there cost per extraction is much higher than a regular dentist( He's a DDS dentist I beleive,whatever that means) This is costing me $4,500 as I have no dental insurance. Lots of questions:
Have you had this medication and what has your experience been on it?
Is it hard to adjust to upper and bottom dentures? esp when your only 25.
If I felt pain before how will this medication change that?
Is it possible this medication won't work with me?
I'm so scared he's going to get like my front two teeth out and I'm going to flip out and have to leave and my front two teeth are going to be gone. I really just don't think I'm gonna be able to handle this.
Please if anyone could help me or just give me comforting words it would mean so much. I have never been this scared in my life.

April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Need postive stories about use of Triazalom. Getting 14 teeth removed.. dental PH

Hi April,

I would love to encourage you through your dental experience. I have quite a few examples of why this new dentistry is nothing like it was even 10 years ago. Everything has changed, new techniques are so much faster, cleaner, and comfortable for the patient. It sounds as if your dentist is very understanding and will try to do everything he can to make your experience as easy and painless as possible.

The entire procedure can now be done in one session, that alone is so great for you. Of course there will be some adjustment period with the new teeth, but I have a cousin who had the same thing done and it turned out great..

The other thing to keep in mind, is the fact that the new you is going to be absolutely fantastic, happy and beautiful. You have a professional in charge who will be there every step of the way to protect, and help you through the whole thing.

He is not going to leave you in pain, a DDS is a "Doctor of Dental Surgery" so he is totally capable of providing you with everything you need to get through this.

Think of this as one of the biggest days of your entire life. I bet you cannot even imagine what an impact this will have on you from the very first day.

I wasnt even going to include this part, BUT..I just was in a horrible accident where I broke 7 ribs. my shoulder, punctured my lung and spent 17 days in the hospital, I am actually writing this from a hospital bed, unable to lay down in my regular bed. I am in so much pain, I have to take morphine just to breathe. We all have our challenges, and this is yours. You are strong enough to get through this, and I will be happy to hear from you again.
\
Janet

Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Need postive stories about use of Triazalom. Getting 14 teeth removed.. dental PH

Hi,
I'm with writeleft! I had my top four front teeth removed and implants placed with just novocain. I was terrified, as I also had a dental phobia as big as a house! I used one of those little squeeze balls while I was in the chair. It gave me something else to concentrate on. Try it!

I can honestly say I can't imagine why I was so nervous. I felt NO pain at all, except for the shots (those did hurt). It took a little over an hour to do the whole process and I got my immediate partial placed right then and there. I, too, had had it made in advance so I was never without teeth.

And, oh, my.....my "teeth" looked great! The partial teeth were gorgeous and I left the office feeling fine. Swelling was the worst on the third day but went down rapidly after that. I used rice in a thin sock that I had frozen in the freezer and it worked great. No getting wet and it molds to your face. I highly recommend it! Naturally, you also want to have soft foods on hand. If I never see another ravioli it will be too soon! LOL

You're going to do fine. EVERYONE is scared of the dentist. It's a very personal thing having some stranger stick his hands in your mouth but try to keep it in perspective.
You are soon going to have a super smile after it is all over and you adjust to your new teeth. You will be soooo happy you did all this. Just remember,...anyone can do anything and stand any amount of pain for a short period of time. Say it to yourself three times at the start and whatever is being done will be finished before you are.
Then, focus on the end result. Know you will have some discomfort until you heal but after that my bet is that you'll be smiling in every mirror!

GOOD LUCK. Let us know how you do cause I'm betting this is a success story in the making!

My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
(female)

asmith1886 HB User

Thank you ladies both for your replys! I will definatley keep everyone updated as I also hope this is another success story! We will see!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I too am deathly afraid of the dentist, and feel claustrophobic when people are so close to my face. Because of a move, I needed to find a new dentist. When I arrived for the appointment I found out he did not believe in using nitrous oxide. That was the only way I could make it through an appointment if any work needed to be done. Luckily I only needed a cleaning. (First let me say I had ugly teeth...a big gap in the front. twisted eyeteeth, etc...always embarrased to open my mouth.) At the 1st appointment with the new dentist he fooled around with some tooth putty and showed me how he could make my teeth look. I was amazed! I'd been wanting nice teeth for years. I made an appointment, knowing I would only have novacain while he drilled and prepared 6 teeth for capping. I was ok, knowing after all the work I would have immediate results. For that one appointment I was able to keep it together. After 6 hours in the chair, I walked out of the office with a beautiful smile. That did not cure my fear of the dentist, but eased it for that one day. I still am looking for a dentist that will use nitrous oxide! Just thought I would let you know even the biggest coward made it through the appointment knowing the change I would see when it was over. Good luck to you, I hope everything works out well!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Ginger Tea,
Congratulations! I am SO glad you came on here to share your story. It's nice to read about a success who overcame their fear for good dental health.

Thanks so much!
My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I cant wait to hear the rest of this story. WE are so lucky to live int he times we do when it comes to dental health. Nothing like a smile to be proud of!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
(male)

Olymerchant HB User

relax you might remember arriving and you might remember leaving but you won't know you were their

Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
(female)

asmith1886 HB User

Thanks ladies. Just wanted to leave a reply and let you all know I'm still active on this board. Well tomorrow is the big day! Called today to confirm the appointment and make sure the partials were there(partly hoping they weren't so I could cancel lol) but there there. I am soooo nervous. Coden't sleep last night. Kept hearing cracking and popping inside my head as if the dentist was already pulling teeth. Crazy I know. I've had 2 full blow panic attacks today. Had a few people telling me their horror stories at the dentist. I can't decide if people are just stupid or mean to tell a phobic person that. I'm going out to Wal-Mart in a few minutes to stock up on "soft" foods for post extractions tomorrow. Hoping the valium lets me get some sleep tonight. I'm just so afraid my fear is going to overwhelm the effects of the medications. My husband is supportive to a certain extent but he really dosen't understand.I really feel that if I can't go through with it b/c the medication dosen't help enough to sedate me properly my husband will leave me. I don't know. He just dosen't understand my fear and thinks I'm being difficult. I mean he loves me to death but has wanted me to have a decent smile for so long. I do as well don't get me wrong, but I'm the one who has to go through with the procedure, not him. Well ladies, I will try and post again tonight. If not I will post when I'm feeling up to it. Thanks so much for all your kind words. It makes me feel better that I'm not going through this alone.
April

Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

good luck to you tomorrow! hope you will be able to post a positive experience after your visit to the dentist.

sometimes, when people don't understand your fear, they have trouble being supportive. luckily, i am surrounded with cowards like myself. a lot of my generation (55-65) are fearful of the dentist. the treatments they used
were not as comfortable, and i remember being sworn at by a dentist because i was scared. dentists like that are few and far between these days. they compete for your business with offers of comfort. i have no problem letting the dentist know i'm a coward, and they respond with lots of care and assurance. they want you to be calm and comfortable, they don't want horror stories circulating around them. they go out of their way to make you happy. don't pay attention to horror stories....i've bet they've been told over and over and each time they get worse.... i don't have a horror story to tell, never had one, but that doesn't make me less afraid. hugs to you..

Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GOOD LUCK,asmith! I'll be sending you good vibes that you will go with NO FEAR!

I just KNOW you're going to do great!
Thinking good thoughts!
My best,
Gellia

Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
(female)

asmith1886 HB User

Hi Ladies. Well it's OVER! And all it all i think it was a great experience! Ya'll were right! I thought I was asleep for the whole thing. The only thing I remember is being relaxed enough to tell the dentist he could give the the shots and start drilling but not pull any teeth yet. Then I remember "waking up". Dentist said I was awake for almost all of it though, I just don't remember. He said he would go to pull a tooth and I would be telling him it was going to hurt, then he would get it out and i was like oh that ddient. hurt. Then the cycle would repeat b/c I had forgotten he had pulled the previous tooth. Lol
All in all the experience was GREAT! I can't believe i was so terrified. If i ever need dental work done again i am going to him. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the partial plates, I feel like there is something foreign in my mouth and I can't actually eat on the fake teeth yet, so ive been eating on my few remaining molars. I've still in pain and swelled some, but I'm alternating between ibuprofen and percect. Gellie this is another sucess story!! I highly, highly recommend the use of triazalom for phobic patients. It is a wonder drug!!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
(female)

asmith1886 HB User

Hi Ladies. Well it's OVER! And all it all i think it was a great experience! Ya'll were right! I thought I was asleep for the whole thing. The only thing I remember is being relaxed enough to tell the dentist he could give the the shots and start drilling but not pull any teeth yet. Then I remember "waking up". Dentist said I was awake for almost all of it though, I just don't remember. He said he would go to pull a tooth and I would be telling him it was going to hurt, then he would get it out and i was like oh that ddient. hurt. Then the cycle would repeat b/c I had forgotten he had pulled the previous tooth. Lol
All in all the experience was GREAT! I can't believe i was so terrified. If i ever need dental work done again i am going to him. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the partial plates, I feel like there is something foreign in my mouth and I can't actually eat on the fake teeth yet, so ive been eating on my few remaining molars. I've still in pain and swelled some, but I'm alternating between ibuprofen and percect. Gellie this is another sucess story!! I highly, highly recommend the use of triazalom for phobic patients. It is a wonder drug!!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Re: Need postive stories about use of Triazalom. Getting 14 teeth removed. dental PHO

That is fantastic news! We are so proud of your success, and your strength to get through this so well.

Be patient while you go through the adjustment period with the partial plates, they will soon feel like they have always been there.

Thanks so much for coming back to share your success story.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Need postive stories about use of Triazalom. Getting 14 teeth removed. dental PHO

Asmith!

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am SO glad it's over for you and you did SO well. That is good news.

Dentures do feel foreign. They are! But you will get used to them and go on to have a gorgeous smile.

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing your success story! It means alot.

My VERY best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread