It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

Vicks200 HB User
Unhappy Half my tooth fell out after root canal

Started root canal 6weeks ago on 1of my front teeth(upper right 4) went back 2weeks later to get it finished,well I thought it was going 2b finished n 2visits but I was told 2come back for a third visit to finish it,3days before I'm surposed 2go get it finished half the tooth has fallin off!went in 2 the dentist straight away n I'm told I'll have 2pay 750euro 2get it fixed with a post crown! Is it the dentists fault that this happen because she waited so long 2finish d root canal?? N sud I have 2pay 2have it done?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Half my tooth fell out after root canal

Hi,
Chances are there wasn't enough "good" tooth left. Once a tooth has had a root canal they can become more brittle, too. I don't think it had anything to do with the lack of a permanent crown. It's actually lucky that it didn't break after your perm crown was placed. Others with first hand experience may be able to shed more light on it, but unfortunately, it probably just happened.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I've had at least 2 teeth that were either being root canaled or finished that split in half lengthwise. My dentist said that often the tooth is cracked and that is why the root dies but it's so tiny they can't see it in the x-ray.

It was probably cracked before the root canal was even started. Nothing to do but put on a post and crown now.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
(female)

Vicks200 HB User

Ok thank you both for ur replys! I had just never heard of this happening an wasn't sure what to do because friends have been telling me d dentist sud fix it for free because it sudn't have happened!!but guess it wasn't her fault den!I've heard dat post crowns sometimes dnt last is this true??

Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
Anytime a tooth has had root canal treatment there is risk of failure, as jennybyc says. Take care of your crown and be sure to get professional cleanings. Learn to floss around it crown correctly. All these things will insure that it stay healthy.

GOOD LUCK!
My best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread

Tags
dental, filling, front tooth, pain, root canal