It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
(male)

zabean HB User
Bite feels odd, can't clench teeth

I don't know how long it's been like this, but I only suddenly realized this last night after an awful episode.

I was eating popcorn last night and after crunching and chewing on some particular kernels with my molars, I felt really dizzy all of a sudden, and my jaw felt completely out of whack. It felt like it was lowered and moved, and I couldn't sleep at all till 6am freaking out over this. With that, I was realizing that I couldn't completely close my teeth. In my mouths normal position when Im conscious of it, my two front bottom teeth touch the bottom of my two top front teeth. When I try to clench my teeth, as in touch my molars together or just put my jaw at a resting position, none of my teeth really touch except the front teeth push up behind the back teeth. If i try to close it as much as possible my jaw feels uncomfortable as if i am trying to push it too far up beyond its range. Also, my jaw felt like it was at a weird angle, but now I think that was just me being disoriented and my tongue tricking me because it rests on my bottom two front teeth which now look like they are tilting outward like this \, where the teeth next to them are a little backwards pushing inward, and maybe I've never looked at them but i never noticed it before to this extent. Throughout last night too, those teeth were kind of tingling and that tingling was going down to my chin.

I'm 23 years old now, and throughout my life I've had several cavities filled. When I say several, I do mean alot.. I can't exactly count because alot of them were when I was younger, but even as recently as the past couple years. I've had 4 wisdom teeth removed, and never had braces in my life. I know I haven't taken the best care of my teeth, never really flossed or anything, so I'm really worried about what could be happening. Also after I switched mouthwashes 6 months ago, I noticed some tartar build up on and around those bottom two front teeth.

Could I have lost a filling in the back? I looked up the jaw dislocated feeling and everyone suggested something to do with TMJ but I did not experience any of the pain anyone is talking about. Today, my jaw doesn't feel as weird but my bite is still the same, and I'm afraid to eat or chew on anything because it feels like it would be difficult.

I can't say that my bite hasn't been like this for more than since just last night because I haven't exactly observed it but now that i'm obsessing over it I can't feel like its any bit normal.

Any ideas anyone? It's driving me nuts.

edit: moving my jaw in any direction (to the left, right, front, back) and closing my teeth put it in any normal position. i'm starting to worry this is more about my teeth. i feel almost like some of my teeth are not whole any more (although many of those have been filled or sealed or whatever they do). when i touch my molars with my tongue some of them seem to feel higher on the outside (toward my teeth) than in the inside (toward my tongue). i haven't been to the dentist in almost 2 years now, I think, but usually I get everything fixed up and all good. but now im worried that my teeth are just completely screwed up. but they dont look that way at all in my smile.

also i'll mention there is very little to no obvious pain to speak of, just alot of discomfort.

Last edited by zabean; 02-27-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Bite feels odd, can't clench teeth

Hi,
Why not make an appt with your dentist and have him check your bite and evaluate your teeth? He will know right away if the bite is off or if there is anything else going on you need to address.

Please make an appt. with your dentist. There's nothing like peace of mind.

My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

zabean HB User

Thank you, I do plan on going to my dentist within the next week (i'm away at school right now but I have a week off next week), I just would like to gauge the urgency of my situation, or know what to expect; my dentist is my cousin so it tends to be a little embarrassing. i'm just alarmed at how it could feel this way all so suddenly, while not having many issues with it before yesterday. i'm perplexed and have no idea if it's my imagination or something is severely wrong, and im increasingly worried by the minute. im sitting here with a paper towel bunched up in my mouth just because its the only way my bite feels comfortable. should I avoid eating? my neighbor just invited me to get burgers..

Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I can't imagine what you could have done that would be serious. A jaw dislocation would be painful. So would TMJ. Perhaps you chipped some plaque off the back of your teeth. That feeling of two levels to your teeth make me think a sheet of plaque chipped off. A cleaning would take care of that. The tongue has a tendency to feel ANYTHING different in the mouth by less than 1mm so anything like that would make you very aware of the difference.

You're not in pain. I would go an enjoy the burger and see your dentist when your appt comes. You may have popped the ligament in your jaw (like cracking your knuckles) and it just felt really different. Only your dental professional will know for sure but I'd go and enjoy those burgers and relax.

GOOD LUCK
My best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
zabean (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
(male)

zabean HB User

thank you and your words mean tons to me in terms of comfort

im starting to think this has alot more to do with my two front bottom teeth angling
outward more than anything. for one thing i dont think my tongue is used to them feeling so far away, and now whenever i touch gently them or run my tongue along them i get a really weird sensation that panics me, like everything numbs and tingles and my teeth feel like theyre moving, but when i stop and i touch them i know theyre not. the only way to feel comfortable with it is to pressure the top of the teeth to make sure my body knows theyre in place. this is really freaking me out! also i think its this angling thats making my bite feel uncomfortable because i have to pull my jaw backward to fit my bottom teeth behind the top now.

Last edited by zabean; 02-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
There really is a good possibility that it's plaque that has hardened to calculus, that came off the back of your bottom front teeth. I say this because it has a tendency to collect there the most and come off in sheets making the tooth feel like it split down the back in two. The tingling sensation is your warning that they need to be addressed professionally to get rid of the plaque and calculus that might remain.

If that is the case, you really need to get to the dentist for a thorough cleaning. Please don't put this off. Once your teeth are cleaned and the sensation of cleaning them goes away, I think you'll be fine. Anytime we do something in the mouth, the tongue can tell. I think you are experiencing something different but if it was super serious, I think you would have pain present.

That you have no pain, but rather sensation, it could just be the plaque/calculus.

Don't put off that trip to the dentist though. It's always better to be safe than sorry and if it is plaque that came off, your teeth really do need a pro to clean them.

GOOD LUCK.
Please let us know how you do.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread