It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

kryslo HB User
Tattoos and Wisdom Teeth Extraction

I was attracted to this forum because I was googling tattoo and wisdom teeth extraction, which linked me to here. I found a post from 2003, but it didn't quite answer my question.

I'm having scheduling problems. I desperately need my wisdom teeth out (fully impacted and growing completely horizontal). At the end of May, I will be moving to another state, so I have to get it done before then. I am also planning to get a tattoo at that time to commemorate my leaving a place I've lived in all my life. I have to get it all done within a month, because I go to school full-time and have no other length of time to complete it all in.

Which order should I get them in, and how long should I wait between them? I imagine the pain meds from the wisdom teeth extraction would thin my blood too much to get the tattoo, but I'm afraid that getting the tattoo first would be just as bad.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

jennagirl HB User
Re: Tattoos and Wisdom Teeth Extraction

congrats on the new life! Im not total expert, but I'd say get the tattoo first. Have you had a tattoo? I have several, really not that painful at all. after first couple of minutes, skin around becomes numb. After the Wisdom Teeth removal, you won't want to do much of anything for several days but sleep.

Blood thinning meds: Many tattoo artists will not do tats on those who have been drinking because it does thin your blood, however, some encourage you take advil, tylenol, etc before the tat. You don't lose much blood at all during a tattoo, though. I wouldn't worry about that aspect unless you were taking heavy duty narcotics. Im assuming you can get it all done in one months time. Again, go for the tattoo first! If you're that worried, call a general dr or dentist. They'll steer you the right way. Good luck!

Last edited by jennagirl; 03-12-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
Re: Tattoos and Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Before you get the tattoo, think very carefully. I know a girl who had one, regretted it and had it removed by laser. It was very painful, took several months and cost far more than the tattoo. Can you not get a temporary tattoo then you will have time to consider whether you want to disfigure your body permanently?

Closed Thread