It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

brian48116 HB User
Crown and core fell out can old crown be re-used?

I have had numerous attempts on getting a crown at the very back of my mouth. I am about to go in for the 6th time after having had the crown and core both fall out because there isn't much left of the tooth to adhere it to.

The crown has been separated from the core and is now in place as a temporary, but I'm wondering if the old crown can be re-used with a new core and post going in. I can't afford an implant and need this to last a long time.

What is the most ideal situation for the longest life of the crown?

Thank you,

Brian

Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Crown and core fell out can old crown be re-used?

Hi,
I don't believe a crown with core can be reused. The post would be permanently cemented onto it and they would not be able to be separated. A whole new post and crown would have to be made.

An implant probably wouldn't run much more than a new post and crown, esp if the tooth doesn't have much to work with already. You may want to check with your dentist on the feasibility of long term survival for the tooth in question. With a core that has had 6 crowns already, it may not be able to hold another at all and restoration is questionable.

GOOD LUCK. IMO, the best long term result for a crown in your case would be an implant.
My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Crown and core fell out can old crown be re-used?

I couldn't agree more.
Implants are wonderful, though pricey. I have two myself and am so glad I did this rather than get bridges.

best wishes, Sue

Closed Thread