It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

asmith1886 HB User
Love my new upper/lower partials but can't accpt the way I look toothless!

I had terrible teeth and am only 25. I had 15 teeth extracted on Tues and upper and lower partials placed that day. I love the way they look! Went to the dentist today to have him make adjustments and have them removed for the first time. I look hideous! Like a monster! I just can't get used to it. Am back at home now with my partials in of course. He wants me to take them out 4 times a day for saltwater rinses and take them out nightly to soak and clean. I don't think I can do this! I know they have to come out for cleaning and so I can brush my remaining teeth but I just can't face the hideous person staring back at me! My husband says he won't care to see me without teeth but I don't want him too! How can I ever get over this?? I'm 25... I look like I'm 80 when there out. I was so happy before I took them out today. Now I'm really depressed. Any ideas ladies? Thanks!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Love my new upper/lower partials but can't accpt the way I look toothless!

Well, I think it will just take some time....this is brand new for you.
The GREAT thing is that now you have your new, beautiful smile. Your dentist is correct, that while your gums are healing you need to do what he says.
My opinion for the longterm, once your gums are fully healed and you are no longer rinsing with salt water (which, of course, you won't be doing forever) is that as long as your partials are clean and your mouth is clean, you can wear your partials at night.
Partials do NOT "have" to soak all night long, to get clean. For the moment, the most important thing is that you get your mouth healed. Do this without looking in the mirror, if it makes you sad. You have a lifetime to enjoy your new teeth, so please try not to let it get you down.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

asmith1886 HB User

Thanks for your reply Sue. Yes I agree I need to let me gums heal no matter how bad I hate my appearance. I did take them out today to do the saltwater rinse and just made myself look. I kept telling myself no one has to see me without teeth I don't want to and I'm actually gaining a lot b/c the fake teeth look so much better. I just kinda talked myself through it. My 6 yr old daughter walked in on me in the bathroom( I dident want her to see me without teeth of course) but she caught me. I thought she was going to flip out but she just looked at me and said "Mommy it does look a little strange but your still beautiful to me" I don't know that just made me feel a lot better. Went to put the bottom back in and it was no problem. The top however went in but I coudent get it tight! I tried for an hour and a half before a 30 minute phone call to the dentist and still codent get it tight. I kept messing with it and it seems to be doing okay now ( not sure what i was doing wrong) but now I'm scared to eat or take it back out. I dunno what to do. I guess I'm just going to have to keep practicing with it. I cant get the left clasp to secure or something. I originally thought I had bent the clasp but its tight now so it must be something im doing wrong. Plus the dentist assured me its very very hard to bend the clasps plus I was being careful. I'm trying to keep my head up by reminding myself how beautiful my smile is now, but all these little bumps are getting me down. The though of having a "loose" upper plate like I had earlier was sending me into panic mode. Well sorry for rambling... I just needed to get it out somewhere. Again thanks for the reply!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I had to have a partial, which included front teeth, when I was about 13. It was traumatic for me since I was starting high school. I think it ruined my life I was so self conscious. At the time we couldn't afford anything but a partial. When I got out of school & got a job I had a permanent bridge put in.
At that time they didn't have implants. If you can't adjust to the partials maybe you could get something permanent. My heart goes out to you because I know how you feel. Good luck!

Closed Thread