It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
trusting a dentist?

I am having a problem trusting any dentist to use proper hygiene. When the dentist is working in my mouth & leaves the room for whatever reason, I always wonder if he put new gloves on when he comes back in the room to work in my mouth. The chairs are always positioned so I can't see the door. I've been in dental offices where there were used gloves & dental probes in the floor & of course I never went back. There would be no point in asking the dentist if he used new gloves each time he left the room because you know he would say he did. There is a sign in his treatment room that says they use proper sterilization etc, but do we really know? Am I the only one that has these thoughts? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

misty57 HB User
Re: trusting a dentist?

Yes I see the same things as you do. They will put on gloves.... but touch everything in the room including moving the light back & forth. I think the gloves are on for there own protection and very little of yours. And if you say anything, they get defensive and take a little hissy fit. I just deal with it to a point. After all, how was this handled years ago. And we all lived thru it. But I understand what your saying and I do agree with you. Misty

The Following User Says Thank You to misty57 For This Useful Post:
sammi2 (03-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: trusting a dentist?

Of course, the hope is that each dentist is doing their utmost to keep their operatories as sanitary as possible. There are sterilization laws to be followed that are not taken lightly. Where I work, even the arms of the light are sterilized between patients. It is unreasonable to expect a dentist to change their gloves every time they readjust their light.
To me, it's like eating in a restaurant. You hope that the food preparers wear gloves. You hope they wash their hands before handling any food. You hope that your silverware is clean from the person who ate there before you. If there are blatant signs there that are giving you a red flag, then of course you need to honor that. But otherwise, you assume the best. I think the same goes for going to the dentist and the doctor.

Sue

Closed Thread