HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   Jaw pain after wisdom teeth extraction (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/891863-jaw-pain-after-wisdom-teeth-extraction.html)

Bichons 03-04-2012 02:46 PM

Jaw pain after wisdom teeth extraction

I am 19 years old and got my 4 wisdom teeth out Tuesday 2/28 and it is now Sunday 3/4. My two top wisdom teeth were partially erupted and have given me no problems post extraction. My bottom two were impacted underneath the gum line at about 45 degrees. Since the surgery, I wake up every morning in intense jaw pain. To my knowledge it is not a TMJ problem, although the joint/muscle in that area sometimes throbs. The pain is mostly near my chin and along my jaw bone that occasionally leads to the ear. It's a throbbing pain. I am on Vicodin and acetaminophen 5/500 and have been taking two ibuprofen 200mg with the Vicodin. I also am taking antibiotics. I got checked out at the my OS yesterday and there were no dry sockets and the sockets are actually clean and healing great. So why is my jaw throbbing? Is this normal? Also, the 2nd molar that was next to my bottom wisdom tooth gives me a weird feeling when I open my mouth too wide, as if it's me putting pressure on a pulled muscle or something, it kind of pulses and feels strained and is very tender and painful. He told me there were no complications during the surgery so I can't imagine if I had a fractured jaw or something he wouldn't know about it. I can't stand this pain and nobody is really taking me seriously, just putting it off as "it's normal you just got teeth removed." Someone please respond with some input! Thanks!

Gellia 03-04-2012 04:55 PM

Re: Jaw pain after wisdom teeth extraction

Hi,
OK. Think of it this way. You just had your mouth wide open for a long period of time. The muscle in the jaw really suffers from this. It will tense up for any reason and opening your mouth widely after surgical trauma will only make the muscle tense more.

Sorry, but I'm with the others. When I had my four wisdom teeth out I couldn't open my mouth at all. It locked shut. Best I could do for a MONTH was drink liquids through a straw and then was finally able to slip a slice of pizza in. It took nearly three months before my mouth felt normal again.

When you open you mouth widely what you're doing is exactly what you feel. Swollen tissue putting pressure on the muscle and nerve and causing you pain. Don't do that! You probably also had a ton of novocain shot in there, too.

The intense morning pain would be from the muscle staying in one position, and probably clenched, for an extended period. Then you try to move it. Try as hard as you can to relax your jaw, esp when going to sleep.

You really DO have to give yourself a break. Having wisdom teeth out can be very painful esp. if they were impacted and the bottom ones are right at the jaw angle.

Try warm compresses to the outside of your face along the jawline from ear to chin. Don't open your mouth too widely, but do GENTLE stretching of the muscle (like gentley chewing gum). Try some warm salt water rinses (1/4tsp to 8oz). This will help relax the muscle from the inside and also help reduce any edema in the tissue.

And, yes, this takes time. I'm with the others. It sounds like typical surgical trauma pain. You just had major dental surgery. It's going to take a few weeks to heal.
Do the compresses...rice in a thin sock tossed in the microwave for a minute works great. You can get a comfortable temperature and it lasts for awhile.

GOOD LUCK. The pain will gradually go away, but time is your only friend here.

Best to you,
Gellia

JSand 05-01-2012 05:47 AM

Hi there Bichons.

My story sounds exactly the same as yours (other than I waited too long to have mine done). I've had all four wisdom teeth out; the top two were out but facing. my cheeks and the bottom two were horizontally impacted. I was swollen for a week, but the pain seemed to subside as the swelling went down. It's been 8 days since the surgery and the paid started getting worse again a couple of days ago. My surgeon has gone on holiday/vacation so I saw my dentist, who gave me Metronidazole as treatment for a suspected infection.

Anyway, that was the background, my point is that I'm suddenly getting a sharp pain in my chin, like a twinge, that sounds like the kind of thing you experienced.

I was wondering how long it took for you to get back to normal after your surgery and whether you ever got a definitive explanation for the pain?

By the way, I am very sorry to hear that you had to go through this too. I get the feeling that most people just expect me to 'pull myself together' and judge me based on their their experience of tooth removal - but everyone suffers differently; thank goodness for them

Evelyn99 05-02-2012 08:40 AM

I had my wisdom teeth out very young (12), and as I remember, it was no big deal. BUT. I've known plenty of people who had them out and had a lot of pain with it. I don't know if it matters, but I've had several surgeries (broken bone plated, gallbladder out, tonsils out, stuff like that), and I've never had a problem with it. I really quite like going to sleep and waking up all better. OTOH, my husband dreads surgery because he has a really hard time with the anesthetic, tends to get adhesions around the incisions sites, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people are different. I really hope you're feeling much better now that a few months have gone by.

boogieboogie 01-13-2013 04:08 PM

Dear Bichons,

I was relieved to hear that someone else had experienced the same symptoms that I am currently going through now after having all four of my wisdom teeth removed.

I had them taken out a little over a week ago, and was wondering how the rest of your recovery went. Also, did you have any sensitivity to sound and sensitivity to cold temperatures?

I know its early in the recovery process, but this pain is unbearable. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with my sensitivity to sound (especially from the TV and talking on any kind of phone), and my sensitivity to cold? I am taking Vicodin and ibuprofen. I tried cold packs and warm compresses, both of which have had little to no effect. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

boogieboogie 01-13-2013 04:09 PM

Dear Bichons,

I was relieved to hear that someone else had experienced the same symptoms that I am currently going through now after having all four of my wisdom teeth removed.

I had them taken out a little over a week ago, and was wondering how the rest of your recovery went. Also, did you have any sensitivity to sound and sensitivity to cold temperatures?

I know its early in the recovery process, but this pain is unbearable. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with my sensitivity to sound (especially from the TV and talking on any kind of phone), and my sensitivity to cold? I am taking Vicodin and ibuprofen. I tried cold packs and warm compresses, both of which have had little to no effect. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

kailia 04-15-2013 07:45 AM

Hi there, i just got the same thing done around three days ago, evryone including me has had the same strained feeling in their jaw when there mouth is opened to wide aswell.

In an unfortunate circumstance i have an unusually small jaw, two regular surgeons would not perform the procedure do to this,i had to visit a "special surgeon" and the only complication was that anestetics do not have a dominant effect on my body. i find that i cant really open my mouth more than an inch before everything shifts and I get the same excruciating pain as you describe. after asking a few people i know who have had the procedure say this is not exactly normal. If you're cheeks are still rather large in size i would put ice on it and see if that helps.