It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

KBinMI HB User
Pain and sensitivity in healthy tooth that was shaved down for bite adjustment.

I had a permanent crown put on one of my lower molars (#30) in December, and my dentist shaved down the healthy opposing upper molar to fix the bite (the crown was way too high when it was first put in, and apparently shaving down only the crown couldn't get the bite to where it needed to be). While my dentist was shaving the healthy tooth I could feel some sensitivity, but she insisted that she only took off a bit of enamel and that it should cause me no lasting problems.

It has been 2+ months and there is still significant pain in that tooth when I'm eating. Sometimes it's so bad that I can't chew on that side of my mouth. Certain foods, such as fresh pineapple, cause so much pain that I simply avoid them now. The other day I had a bout of stomach flu and I vomited several times, and the stomach acid seems to have made the situation even worse. I can barely manage to eat even soft foods now. I have been using Sensodyne toothpaste along with a prescription fluoride toothpaste, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I'm asking for advice here because I am seriously questioning the competence of my dentist. I'm hoping to get some reassurance that this situation can be resolved with something as simple as a filling. I'd really like to avoid a crown or even root canal treatment on a tooth that was perfectly healthy to begin with. I'm also faced with the decision of going back to the same dentist to get the work covered for free (but taking the risk that she'll make the situation even worse), or going to someone else and eating the copay. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
(female)

misty57 HB User
Re: Pain and sensitivity in healthy tooth that was shaved down for bite adjustment.

Hi, The dentist should of NEVER shaved down a natural tooth for a filling or crown to fit. You should go back to her and ask her to resolve this problem at her expense. Misty

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
(male)

KBinMI HB User
Re: Pain and sensitivity in healthy tooth that was shaved down for bite adjustment.

What can be done, short of crowning the tooth, to remedy the situation? I know my dentist will do something to try to help me, but because I'm skeptical of her abilities I'd like to be educated about my options before I let her do any more work. I'm also wondering if I should just find a different dentist.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ariot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinMI View Post
What can be done, short of crowning the tooth, to remedy the situation? I know my dentist will do something to try to help me, but because I'm skeptical of her abilities I'd like to be educated about my options before I let her do any more work. I'm also wondering if I should just find a different dentist.
I would get a few different opinions. The money spent will seem insignificant if something goes wrong leaving you with bigger problems. Shaving down healthy living enamel to save crown material seems ridiculous to me unless there is no option. If it is sore because the opposing tooth is hitting it hard, it can develop into pulpitis which can be reversible, but sometimes is not. If it were me I would talk to the dentist who did this and get some kind of idea of what they think should be done to fix it, and then get a few other opinions before continuing. Occlusion is tricky and can quickly develop into more problems as various dentists grind your teeth down attempting to solve your original problem.

Closed Thread