It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

sogreene HB User
Unhappy 28 year old considering dentures-HELP

I have always had extremely soft teeth and thin enamel. When I was told I needed braces at the age of 13, I was also told that I could not get them due to the fact that when they removed the braces, my teeth would have either decayed under them, or they would leave indents where they had been. I have always had difficulty with my teeth, and they are almost all FILLED with fillings and covered in caps. What actual teeth I have have gotten so bad that I was considering getting caps or implants, but that is way out of our financial options. This leaves me with the option of dentures, my father-in-law works at a dental lab that does amazing work. I am aware of the possible bone loss, gum sensitivity, sunken cheeks and other hazards that come with getting dentures. What I need to know is how to deal with the emotional aspects of losing your teeth at such a young age, and having 'old people teeth' (sorry if that offended anyone), I'm just really scared about the permanence of this decision, but am also to the point that I can no longer eat, drink or breath through my mouth without excruciating pain. My teeth are still somewhat pretty, and I would love to keep my smile, but don't know what else to do at this point. I use excellent daily oral care (thrice daily brushing and flossing plus a rinse twice daily and dental visits every 3-6 months). So here it goes...either "What to do?" or "What positive reinforcements can you offer going with the dentures route?"
Thanks so much,
Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
(male)

Ram602 HB User
Re: 28 year old considering dentures-HELP

I'm a 29 year old male who just recently opted for dentures. I've had a terrible time since my early teen years with breaking teeth, infections, and poor oral health. Its been about a week now and I'm starting to love my dentures. I can smile now without having to be embarrassed about broken teeth. I haven't had a toothache or a sleepless night since I decided to have them out. I've even managed to secure a few job interviews. Learning to eat and talk again have been a journey, but if dentures are your only option, its worth it to learn.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ram602 For This Useful Post:
sogreene (03-17-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
dentures, young adult