Please advise!! 2 dentists , different diagnosis , should I see a 3rd?
About 5 days ago I woke up with severe pain in one of my upper teeth( #12) The actual tooth is covered by a crown and the crown was loose. I went to my regular dentist ( whom I'm not crazy about to begin with) and he told me I needed another root canal and would need to get a new post and crown as well, my co pay would be about $500. He prescribed an antibiotic and some Motrin 800 and told me he would send out the approval forms etc and to come back next week. The next morning I woke up in more pain after sleeping about an hour and my face was totally swollen on one side. I called the dentist asked if he could prescribe something stronger, he told me I needed to let the antibiotic work. The next day I was more swollen yet the pain had subsided. I called again asking if he would at least prescribe a stronger antibiotic since I felt I had built up immunity to amoxicillin . He told me they were all the same..??? really? since when? So , yesterday I went to a different place, this was like a dental clinic..did not care for it much at all..I waited two hours to see a dentist, she did prescribe a stronger antibiotic, Clindamycin..however she told me the tooth needed to be pulled and I could have an implant..yeah sure cause I happen to have $3000 laying around..They tried to make me commit to this yesterday but I told them I would call them back on Monday..I was happy to at least get stronger meds but now I don't know if I should see a third dentist or go back to the first one..I don't know if the second place was just trying to push the implant for financial gain or if she was sincere.Any advice?
Re: Please advise!! 2 dentists , different diagnosis , should I see a 3rd?
Just to complicate things further, both your dentists are correct. Your first dentist gave you the antibiotic of choice - amoxicillin. It takes at least three days before it starts to work. The clindamycin is for anaerobic bacteria and should help also, but it too, will take about three days before improvement is seen. While taking clindy, do eat some yogurt everyday or take some probiotics to protect you GI tract. Clindy will kill off the good bacteria that it needs, too. Any indication of GI distress in the form of diarrhea, call your dr immediately.
With your tooth. Your one dentist thinks a second root canal will solve the problem (did he see an infection on xray?) and the tooth can be saved. The other dentist may have decided the tooth was fractured. If that is the case, extraction is warranted.
Did either dentist mention a crack in the tooth below the gumline? If so, the tooth is usually not salvageable. If extraction is the eventual choice, an implant to replace is the best option.
Only thing you can do at this point is to take the full course of antibiotics and go from there. Fractures can show up after swelling comes down. In the meantime rinsing your mouth with warm salt water (1/4tsp per 8oz) can be beneficial.
GOOD LUCK and let us know how you are doing.
Best to you,