It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User
Wisdom tooth removal verses sedation x hypertension

My Dentist recently has written to Guys hospital for me to have my wisdom tooth removed. Bottom left, its stuck under the gum next to other tooth and has no room to come thru. Its infected and causes a bit of pain. he put in the letter that suggestion of me being sedated as I am a nervous patient and cant be awake when going thru that again. I have had an IV sedation a few years back and was fine with it. When they put it in the back of your hand and after 7 secs you are out, when I came round I felt woozy and was fine next day. Just saw after removal of last one.

Have been told I may have to wait 12 weeks before even seeing a consultant. Which is a long time when you have a niggly pain in gum which could get worse, but oh well!

Because I now have hypertension but the meds I am on controls my blood pressure. the GP said other week it was a bit high and wanted me to return, then I did it at home and took in results to him and he said it was fine. When I had a sedation years ago I didn't have hypertension then. I also have an underactive thyroid now as well which is also treated with meds.

My questions are as follows?

Has anyone ever had this done at Guys hospital in London?
Will they still put me under sedation or refuse because of my hypertension?

See, I have to wait 12wks before I can even find out any info or ask.

I have read about "verse" and do not want that, and dont want to be awake either so only other option is to be put out, I think its called a general.

Any info useful.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Wisdom tooth removal verses sedation x hypertension

Why don't you want Versed? I had Versed for my wisdom tooth extraction a few weeks ago and it was amazing. I asked for just a moderate dose because I wanted to remain conscious, and I felt awesome.

In general either Propofol or Versed are used for wisdom tooth extractions. Either way you won't remember a thing. Propofol especially puts you out.

You don't want actual general anesthesia for a wisdom tooth removal. General anesthesia has MUCH higher risks and they aren't worth it for such a minor, fast procedure.

Closed Thread

Tags
general, guys hospital, patient, sedation, wisdom tooth