It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

whatsupwiththis HB User
Question tender bump atop tooth of old root canal

I had a root canal on #12 many, many years ago, along with a crown/post.
The "enamel" on the crown looks as if it has chipped away at the gum line,
leaving the actual tooth exposed.
In the past year or two, on occasion, a bump will form in the area of said tooth..generally near the gumline.. The first time it was hard yet it popped and quite a bit of puss came out. The next 2 times it wasnt as prominate and basically had a head like a pimple. Clear liquid came out, not the thick white stuff as before.
Almost 2 weeks ago my face, right at my sinus cavity, became slightly swollen and sore to the touch. Within days the upper part of my gum (near the root tip/and below the sinus cavity) became tender. I was not in pain, just annoying.
2 days ago a bump started to form and it now feels "warm"..as if it has a slight fever in it.
I have had an abcess before, and it hurt like nobody's business.
The warmness in my face and the kinda numb feeling (for lack of a better word) is what bothers me. I have not had to take any kind of pain reliever thus far.
Is it possible that after all these years I could get an abcess from that tooth?
Why are the bumps coming and going...with little to no pain?
And why has it lasted 2 weeks this time?
Presently I cannot afford to go to a dentist...but maybe I cant afford not to!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: tender bump atop tooth of old root canal

Hi,
You can't afford not to go. Chronic infections will dissolve the bone holding the tooth in place. Please make an appt with your dentist. Once the bone starts to dissolve around one tooth, the rest can follow like dominoes. I lost my top four to the EXACT same thing. A chronic infection over one tooth.

Please make that appt. You'll be doing yourself a great favor. Waiting will only be far more painful and expensive in the future.

GOOD LUCK.
My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
(female)

whatsupwiththis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi,
You can't afford not to go. Chronic infections will dissolve the bone holding the tooth in place. Please make an appt with your dentist. Once the bone starts to dissolve around one tooth, the rest can follow like dominoes. I lost my top four to the EXACT same thing. A chronic infection over one tooth.

Please make that appt. You'll be doing yourself a great favor. Waiting will only be far more painful and expensive in the future.

GOOD LUCK.
My best to you,
Gellia
Thanks.....seems as if the "bump" drained last night while I slept. I do know that the poison can now enter into the bloodstream and cause far more problems. Will be headed to dentist soon.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
Yes, it sounds like a chronic infection. Don't wait too long to make the appt. Bone loss is painless and you don't know it until the tooth loosens.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you do.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
(female)

whatsupwiththis HB User

great...bump came back this evening....seemed like it drained again but actually moved further back on the gum! Wii go to doc soon...thanks for your help!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GOOD LUCK and please let us know how you do.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread