It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

sadday HB User
Unhappy root canals?

Okay so I'm not sure if this is something I should worry about. I'm 21 years old and I go to the dentist every 6 months. I went to the dentist in Jan 2012 when he told me I had 8 cavities. I got 5 filled in late Jan and ended up needing a root canal on a bottom tooth. after that root canal, I had pain in the tooth right behind it. I went back in and he told me I needed a root canal on that one too. I got that done almost two weeks ago and that tooth still hurts, has cold sensitivity, everything. But now one of my teeth on the top of my mouth is having the same symptoms the others did. I've had pretty good teeth my whole life. didn't start getting cavities until I was about 13 or 14. I'm scared to get my other cavities filled because I can't afford another root canal let alone my crowns! Should I get a second opinion or am I just paying for all the sugar I've been eating over the years?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
(female)

hbic3 HB User
Re: root canals?

Just to make it clear from the start, I am not a dentist. The only thing I know is from my own experience. Yes, you are paying for all that sugar! But possibly also teeth clenching/grinding. Chewing gum, even sugarless too much or for too long till it's hard, or eating hard foods, like ice chips, hard pizza crusts, ext. It breaks down the tissue and bone around the teeth. I am an Ice and gum Chewer and I clench my teeth at night. However, it's not uncommon when one tooth needs a root canal for the tooth next to it to need one as well, either at the same time, or soon after. Especially if the dentist was not able(or just didn't) remove all the infection. Infection of any sort spreads. The most likely answer is that the infection was already spreading to the next tooth before your root canal, but the dentist didn't see it. That's not their fault, they can't always see that happening when it's right at the beginning stages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
dentist, root canal